Guanella Pass road conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Guanella Pass road conditions?

Post by Bean »

http://14ers.com/php14ers/trailheads2.php?thparm=fr02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

If there's any doubt, you could call the Georgetown Visitor Center.
(303) 569-2405
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

I drove to the Georgetown side gate on 1/6. I have a low clearance Subaru. The road was groomed all the way to the gate. I did not use snowshoes the entire day and certainly did not need them on the road.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

I drove up from Georgetown on Saturday morning (1/12) and the road was well groomed to the gate. There was fresh snow on the road after the gate and we used snowshoes all the way from the gate to the pass parking lot. We did see a few people without snowshoes but there was ~1ft of snow on the road so the shoes helped, a few people up there on AT skies also. The snow on the route to the summit was waste deep in some spots and completely wind blown in others, spikes were a necessity.
I'm slower than Scott P.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I drove up from the Grant side last Saturday, parked at the Gomer TH. Road was perfectly fine, mostly snowpacked in the shade but well plowed and easily drivable in my car. I didn't go all the way to the gate but the report that Bean attached indicates you'll be fine if you go that far.
-Tom