Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sneffels May '13

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Sneffels May '13

Postby apasquel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:32 am

!4er community, need you assistance. Coming from Texas and like always, need your help. I am planning to go up there in May, and would love to climb Sneffels. In general, where is the snowline in the beginning of May in the San Juan area? Would I need Crampons or a heavier duty set of microspikes? And if you have and beta or TR for late April or May, I would love to see pics! Thanks!!!!

also:

I am posting this question in a few different places...so please forgive me, but I figure many of you may have been on Mt. Shasta?

I am planning a California trip for this June We are going to attempt to climb Shasta via Avalanche Gulch and was hoping for any advice, beta, or trip reports. There's not an awesome website for Shasta like there is for Whitney. But, If you guys are anything like me...than you know I'm hungry for beta and psyched to climb!

Alf P.
http://seekingtheburningbush.blogspot.com/

Re: Sneffels May '13

Postby peter303 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 am

It can be anything in the swing month of May. Two years ago we had 200% snowpack, with 14er skiing and postholing well into June. Last season was a 50% snowpack with lots of bare rock already in May. Look at the snowpack on April 1.

Postby rijaca » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 am

Even during last year's snow drought, crampons and ice axes were recommended for the Lavender couloir as late as Memorial Day (see TRs). Two years ago (heavy snow year), I used ice axe and crampons for nearly the entire route in late June.

I would plan on ice axe and crampons for a May ascent.

upper couloir.small.JPG
upper couloir.small.JPG (107.98 KiB) Viewed 223 times
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby apasquel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 am

good stuff...crampons it is.

Postby seano732 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Here's my TR from last May:http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11784&parmuser=seano732&cpgm=tripuser. PM me if you have any other questions. Peace!
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks