Sleeping on top of 14ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sleeping on top of 14ers

Post by carson_h »

Does anyone have experience with lightning detectors?

I'm wondering how well they would work when a peak is blocking views of the sky.

Also, would the electronics inside a GPS or SPOT/InReach interfere?

Neither of these factors would be an issue for sleeping on top of a 14er since you would have a full view of the sky and you can shut off your GPS; however, I probably wouldn't buy a detector just to sleep on a 14er...

http://www.ambientweather.com/lightning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,

-Carson
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

carson_h wrote:Does anyone have experience with lightning detectors?

I'm wondering how well they would work when a peak is blocking views of the sky.
IMHO, they suck (that's the blunt way of putting it; "unreliable" might be a better description). As a JV soccer coach at Woodland Park last year, we were required by state law to carry one at games, but we never relied on them to make a call on whether to postpone. I witnessed one detector at a game go from predicting lighting was 24-48 miles away to 0-6 to None in a 30 second span.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

carson_h wrote:Neither of these factors would be an issue for sleeping on top of a 14er since you would have a full view of the sky
Actually sleeping would be the biggest danger then. If you just want to spend the night awake on top of a mountain the storm hazard can be mitigated substantially, I would think. Summertime full moon...would be fun.

Regardless - you know what the Welsh say about people who stay on mountain peaks at night, don't you?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
pioletski
14ers: 58  58  6 
Trip Reports (48)

Post by pioletski »

OK Jason, I'll bite. What do the Welsh say of people who stay on mountain peaks at night?
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Although I'm 1/4 Welsh, I haven't heard of that one before. But it's probably 95% vowels and sounds like a frog clearing its throat.

“Names are not always what they seem. The common Welsh name BZJXXLLWCP is pronounced Jackson.” -- Mark Twain
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

carson_h wrote:Does anyone have experience with lightning detectors
Bring an ice ax. Both times I have been on Evans my ice ax hummed before lightning strikes. :shock:
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
mewithout14ers
14ers: 17 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mewithout14ers »

Okay, so as far as I know, if there is absolutely no storms coming in a particular afternoon/night and its just a beautiful, cloudless period of time then its not necessary to worry about lightning, correct? It kinda sounds like some people either assume I'll be sleeping on top of a 14er when there IS a chance of thunderstorms, or there still can be lightning storms even on a cloudless day.
"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without even wondering." - Augustine