Raspberry Gulch to Antero

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Raspberry Gulch to Antero

Post by KentonB »

With the relatively mild conditions this winter, I was considering a winter hike to Antero. Since I absolutely hate hiking up roads, I've wanted to do an ascent from Raspberry Gulch (which also allows me to hit Point 11038 - completing the Quad!). I have plenty of cold weather/winter gear, but relatively little experience hiking in Alpine conditions in winter (I generally hike local summits <11,000 feet in winter). My primary concern is avalanche danger. A few questions:

1. Is the Raspberry Gulch trailhead generally accessible in winter? (Bonus points for anyone who's been up there recently with current conditions!)

2. Is there significant avalanche danger on the East ridge? Or significant concerns with cornices, etc.?

3. Anyone have recent conditions along this ridge (or maybe a pic of it)?

Thanks!

-Kent
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Raspberry Gulch to Antero

Post by Fisching »

Yikes might have been up there this weekend. Try sending him a PM.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&p=470761
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

I've hiked up in summer, but not in winter. Straightforward route, but there is a little steep section from the saddle that could be annoying with snow.

1) usually drivable to the split in winter (274 forks off 272)
2) doubt it
3) recent snow on 1/26, but will probably melt pretty quickly
KentonB
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Great info... Thanks! I figured the Raspberry Gulch approach followed a ridge most of the way so it would be easy to avoid Avalanche danger... and it looks like I won't be heading up there until Feb 9th... So I'll just have to monitor snowfall between now and then.
TommyF
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TommyF »

I am planning on being in that area either tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll let you know what the conditions are. That area is getting quite a bit of snow right now. I'll try to get some pics.
Don't Dream It, Do It!
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Dumb question, but is this the same route as Little Brown Creek?

edit: nevermind found the answer
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
KentonB
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

TommyF wrote:I am planning on being in that area either tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll let you know what the conditions are. That area is getting quite a bit of snow right now. I'll try to get some pics.
Yep, I noticed on the CAIC web site that the avy danger went up to "considerable" just today. Still, I'm hoping it will be reasonably safe being on a ridge.
KentonB
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Lemmiwinks wrote:Dumb question, but is this the same route as Little Brown Creek?

edit: nevermind found the answer
Just in case others are wondering....

Both approach from the east, but Raspberry Gulch is a separate gully to the north of Little Browns Creek.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Yikes wrote:I've hiked up in summer, but not in winter. Straightforward route, but there is a little steep section from the saddle that could be annoying with snow.

1) usually drivable to the split in winter (274 forks off 272)
2) doubt it
3) recent snow on 1/26, but will probably melt pretty quickly
Having done this route in summer, I would agree with Yikes. Anything below treeline would be the worst in snow - the bedding on the hill is inches and inches of deep pine needle rot, which is slick enough in summer.

Raspberry Gulch Trip Report
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
KentonB
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

wildlobo71 wrote:Having done this route in summer, I would agree with Yikes. Anything below treeline would be the worst in snow - the bedding on the hill is inches and inches of deep pine needle rot, which is slick enough in summer.
If that's the case, I think I'd rather do it in snow! LOL I've got a little ascent bar on my Snowshoes... I usually find it's almost easier going uphill in snow on those than on solid ground (depending on the consistency of the snow).

Great trip report by the way! I actually came across it last summer as I was looking at options for Antero. My climbing partner, however, got himself a new Rubicon so we drove it to 13,800'... Which felt way too much like cheating and is why I'm looking to redeem myself this winter! :-)
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

KentonB wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:Having done this route in summer, I would agree with Yikes. Anything below treeline would be the worst in snow - the bedding on the hill is inches and inches of deep pine needle rot, which is slick enough in summer.
If that's the case, I think I'd rather do it in snow! LOL I've got a little ascent bar on my Snowshoes... I usually find it's almost easier going uphill in snow on those than on solid ground (depending on the consistency of the snow).

Great trip report by the way! I actually came across it last summer as I was looking at options for Antero. My climbing partner, however, got himself a new Rubicon so we drove it to 13,800'... Which felt way too much like cheating and is why I'm looking to redeem myself this winter! :-)
I, myself, have a Rubicon... and it knows to stay far away from 13,800' when I want to climb mountains...

It's damn fun to have one at all other times, though...
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
TommyF
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TommyF »

Snowshoed up Raspberry Gulch today. Got a late start so I only went to the end of the road. Parked at the winter closure at the intersection of 272/274. The flats leading up to the road heading up the gulch ranged from bare ground to 2 to 3 feet deep. Hard crust on top, powder/soft snow underneath. The road up the gulch had a fair amount of snow, some areas with drifts 3 feet plus deep. The south slope below the mine to the north of the gulch was pretty much dry. Even with the amount of snow that fell this past weekend, Antero and even Princeton still had a lot of bare spots visible with most of the snow in couloirs and troughs. I didn't get an pics as I forgot my camera in the Jeep.
Don't Dream It, Do It!