Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Willow Creek Approach

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Willow Creek Approach

Postby Rambler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:09 am

Question: Hiking to Willow Lake to camp in late July before a Kit Carson/Challenger attempt. How long from trailhead to the Lake? We'll have 40 pound packs and just wanted to know how late we can start to get to the lake and set up camp with plenty of time before it gets dark. I've seen about 3 hrs give or take and just wanted opinons of those who have done it. Thanks for any help.

Re: Willow Creek Approach

Postby ThuChad » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:39 am

Took my group 4 hours at a slow pace w/ overnight packs. Stopped for a 20 minute break. 3-4 hours is a safe bet.

Postby randalmartin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 am

Rambler wrote:We'll have 40 pound packs
40lb packs for an overnight? I presume that means you will be carrying a lot of beer! :-D

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 am

It took me and one other 2.5 hours with 25- to 30-pound packs. We set up camp about 10-15 minutes below the lake. So yeah, three hours is a good estimate, maybe a bit longer if you're really carrying that much weight.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Rambler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Ha ha, yeah randalmartin I may have overestimated the pack load #-o I'm sure it'll be closer to thirty if that.
Thanks for the feedback SurfNTurf and ThuChad

Postby semitrueskerm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:19 pm

I would plan for 4 hours. It's nice to have that extra hour built in so you don't feel like you are rushing up to set up before the sun goes down. Keep me posted when you go, as I would be interested in joining.

Postby globreal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 pm

I think I remember it was about 5 miles and I plan for 1 mph....so if you wanted to take adult beverages up, you could then have a 50 pound pack! :-D
...but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
~John 20:31

Postby Tornadoman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:02 am

It seemed like it took FOREVER when my wife and I did that approach. I think it was between 4 1/2 and 5 hours. We did park below the trailhead near the "4WD road beyond this point" which added a bit of time. Since we were stormed off we will have to try again some time!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 am

Times are going to vary but I can give you the distance from TH to camping at lake: ~4.75 miles one way

Willow Creek Approch
Only SNOW will end the madness