Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Toughest 14ers to go down

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Toughest 14ers to go down

Postby DeTour » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 pm

OK, I'd like to stick up for a couple peaks that have been beat up pretty bad in this thread. I personally didn't think Lindsey or Challenger were that bad on the descent. On Lindsey's standard route, the gully itself may have been a pile of crap down in the bottom, but much of the route had relatively solid options along the sides of the gully. We took on a little modest exposure as being well worth the price of avoiding that rubble below.

Challenger - maybe I was so braced for the worst from all the nasty things people have said about it, but just didn't seem that bad to me.

Clearly the answers to the OP, like so many opinions here, depend a great deal on outside variables like how we felt on a given day, getting off-route or weather. Descending Eolus was fun in the sun, but I'm sure it would be a whole different story in the rain like DrewR experienced.

So maybe someone else wants to add an "aw, c'mon, it wasn't that bad" for a peak or two. Or maybe not - maybe we'd just rather complain.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby djkest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Just brainstormed with my climbing buddy:

Lindsey
Challenger (buddy hated this worse than I did)
Columbia
Conundrum
N Maroon (I hated the cliff band)

YMMV
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Tornadoman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm

djkest wrote:Just brainstormed with my climbing buddy:

Lindsey
Challenger (buddy hated this worse than I did)
Columbia
Conundrum
N Maroon (I hated the cliff band)

YMMV

I can imagine that Conundrum's descent would be awful without snow.... I did Castle/Conundrum this summer and went back over Castle on the way down (had to pick up my wife there anyway as she only did Castle). 3 guys did the descent from the Castle/Conundrum saddle, and they were NOT having a good time, a lot of frightened yelling and kicking rocks down. We met them at the top of the jeep road, and they had a lot of 'choice words' to describe that route!

Postby KentonB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Tornadoman wrote:I can imagine that Conundrum's descent would be awful without snow... 3 guys did the descent from the Castle/Conundrum saddle, and they were NOT having a good time, a lot of frightened yelling and kicking rocks down. We met them at the top of the jeep road, and they had a lot of 'choice words' to describe that route!

On the other hand, WITH snow, my GPS clocked me at 23 mph glissading down that basin! :-)

Previous