Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

pikes peak trail conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

pikes peak trail conditions

Postby maxpatch67 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Anyone know trail conditions this week on Pikes Peak? I plan on climbing Thursday or Friday.

Re: pikes peak trail conditions

Postby doggler » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:40 pm

maxpatch67 wrote:Anyone know trail conditions this week on Pikes Peak? I plan on climbing Thursday or Friday.

Crags or Barr?

Postby LynnKH » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:48 pm

If you are asking about Barr, as of this weekend it was mostly dry until about 5 miles in, then lots of ice to Barr Camp. I didn't go any higher but others said the ice continues with just a few sections of deeper snow drifts to the summit. Screw shoes or spikes definitely advised.

Postby maxpatch67 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:53 pm

doggler wrote:
maxpatch67 wrote:Anyone know trail conditions this week on Pikes Peak? I plan on climbing Thursday or Friday.

Crags or Barr?

Barr.....is that the one from manitou springs? I think thats the one were planning on. I'm from Tennessee and need some info quick so I can prepare my gear. Thanks.

Maybe a dumb question, but I have crampons and snowshoes available. Which would you bring on the hike? Do think its easier to leave super early in the morning and do it all in one day with just a day pack or pack in and camp overnight?

Postby MuchosPixels » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 am

Its actually not bad to go up in one day...but up AND down in one day its tough. I did the Barr trail on the last week of march 2011 and micro spikes were needed above Barr Camp. I saw some people with snowshoes but I never felt the need. Once you get to A-Frame the trail will most likely be covered in snow this time of year. I went straight up the gully or on the rocks just next to it. If there is snow and ice on the delicate alpine tundra its protected from damage by walking so stick to snow/ice.