Princeton Hike

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nrubey
14ers: 11 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Princeton Hike

Post by nrubey »

We're planning on hiking to the chalet Saturday and summitting on Sunday. I read a trip report from last month that said they used the last of the firewood that was inside. I remember there being a sign on the door saying that there is more firewood under the deck. Can anyone verify this? Supposed to be very cold this weekend so don't want to have no firewood up there.
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Princeton Hike

Post by Exiled Michigander »

Spent the night there last Friday. There were only three small pieces of wood left inside, which I used (sorry!). The sign about firewood under the deck is still there, but from what I can tell it would take you a ton of effort to dig the snow out to get to it . . . and once you did no guarantee that there is still firewoood there. I brought along two Duraflame logs with me, which kept me warm through the night despite being a pain to haul up there (around 16 extra pounds). I would recommend doing that if you can just to be safe--kind of lame, but at least you can generate some heat.

From the chalet up to Tigger and Princeton you can probably stay on dry rock the whole way without too much difficulty. I didn't even put on my microspikes. BUT you will need an ice axe and will have to kick steps to get over to the chalet from the normal Princeton turnoff. Use extreme caution from the turnoff until just below Tigger--definitely avvy terrority. Snow seemed in great shape for me last week, but there is always a risk of a weak underlayer giving way. PM me and I can shoot some pics your way.