Capitol Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jared_j
Trip Reports (0)

Capitol Conditions

Post by jared_j »

Thinking about doing the standard route. My intuition is that the ridge looks like a lot of other ridge routes right now, with some snow but rock mostly bare. Anyone have beta or reason for me to think this is not accurate? To appease the karma gods I promise to post a conditions report or TR in exchange for this beta solicitation if I end up heading out there.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Capitol Conditions

Post by forbins_mtn »

Be careful, man. I know there hasn't been condition or trip reports for Cap in a while but there are very recent reports of the Bells and Snowmass. Plenty of snow up there. Going up there with assumptions of bare rock this year is a recipe for disaster. Plan for snow coverage and count any bare rock as a blessing and rest point
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

forbins_mtn wrote:Be careful, man. I know there hasn't been condition or trip reports for Cap in a while but there are very recent reports of the Bells and Snowmass. Plenty of snow up there. Going up there with assumptions of bare rock this year is a recipe for disaster. Plan for snow coverage and count any bare rock as a blessing and rest point
+1
On Tuesday, snow high on Snowmass Mountain was bullet-proof early and greasy once the sun started cooking. Based on the aspect of Cap's standard route, I suspect you'll encounter similar conditions up high and the upper route will still have snow patches. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find a reasonable line up through rock and not have to cross much snow, but I wouldn't count on it. So be prepared for some steep traversing on no-fall zone snow.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Still snow from Daly to Capitol summit. Not as much as the pictures I posted 2 weeks ago, but it's there. I will get more pictures Saturday and post them when I get off work. http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jared_j
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jared_j »

Thanks guys. My bigger concern was getting down, not up. I'm not too worried about steep snow going up early in the morning when things are firm, but more about coming back down the route later on when it is softening up. I'm gonna pass on this for this trip.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

A friend and I climbed Capitol May 20th, 2012, and the down-climb was the hardest part. We made the summit around 11:30 AM and had to unexpectedly down-climb the ridge direct to K2 due to softening snow. A rope and webbing would have been helpful in two spots going down.

Capitol is known for solid rock, but in the snow-thaw cycle rockfall danger is often overlooked on the peak. From K2 we witnessed several softball size rocks let loose above the standard route. Luckily this was the only rockfall we heard; we took a 15-minute break on K2 to listen for more rockfall and decided if we heard another barrage we were turning around.

The soft snow also made the traverse back from K2 to Daly Saddle a nightmare. Our crampons were sliding and balling up, at one point I slid 15 ft before I could get my axe to purchase.

Climbing Capitol in snow is a rewarding experience and fun climb, but it is definitely not to be underestimated.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Did anyone end up going up Capitol this weekend?

Partner and I had planned on climbing Capitol this weekend(June21/21). Curious to see what the conditions are like up there.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

From a distance, there appeared to be a fair amount of snow on Capitol's ridge. I'll see about uploading a picture tonight.
Attachments
Elks_6.14.14.jpg
Elks_6.14.14.jpg (163.79 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Last edited by JosephG on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmanner
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

JosephG wrote:From a distance, there appeared to be a fair amount of snow on Capitol's ridge. I'll see about uploading a picture tonight.
Yea couple of our 14er cohorts were on Snowmass yesterday and said there was plenty of snow on Cap... I am just wondering what the snow is like(first hand) from K2 on. Hate to go up there and find a cornice of doom on the top of the knife edge.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
jmanner
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

bump...

FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

What answer are you looking for exactly? That you dont need crampons, axes or snowshoes? I gurantee you will want the first 2 unless you are a 19yr old Candian sportin Reebox (joke starting to get old but not quite there yet).

If unsure, take your snowshoes and stash em if they become dead weight. You probably know that Cap is fairly serious so make sure you comfortable with traversing steep snow in no fall zones and the like.

Just get out there, have fun and be safe and be willing to learn. You know, that whole journey, not the final destination thing....

EDIT: The cornice of death you speak of will not be on the knife edge.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
jmanner
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:EDIT: The cornice of death you speak of will not be on the knife edge.

That's my question, not all that other mess you projected on me.

Well, in regards to your dateless observation, folks(including my Cap climbing partner) were on Snowmass and saw snow all long the K2-Capitol ridge and I want to know if that was an illusion or if conditions are what they were like in spring of 11'. I like the snow climb aspect, otherwise I wouldn't be going back in spring.

Frankly, the "answer" I am looking for is this: 'I climbed Capitol on this day and the snow conditions were like this ____.' Considering all the Mount Elbert, Quandary, Shavano and Bierstady questions on the forum. I don't think that's too much to ask. Clearly I am wrong though... :oops: