Anyone go up Kelso Ridge this last weekend?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Anyone go up Kelso Ridge this last weekend?

Post by Stevo »

Wondering if anyone went up Kelso Ridge last weekend (6/14 and 6/15). Or just Grays and Torreys in general. What condition is the trail in? I am planning to head up tonight but don't want to drive up there to find that I need more than an axe and traction. I didn't see a really recent update on the conditions page so thanks in advance!!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Anyone go up Kelso Ridge this last weekend?

Post by justiner »

Was up Kelso Ridge yesterday. It's pretty snow-free, except the last section near Dead Dog, to the summit. You'll want some sort of traction - we had full-on crampons/ice axe, more cause we had them (and I was teaching someone snow climbing). It's pretty bullet-proof snow.

The rest of the trail has snow in the usual places, all pretty firm, from constant traveling on, you won't need anything else on any other part, although traction could help. The best setup would be a lightweight axe + microspikes for the whole thing.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

keslo.jpg
keslo.jpg (65.93 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Here's what it looks like. Really pretty dry, except for say, the last pitch.
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

Fantastic, thanks! That's exactly how I was planning to go- light axe and traction only (well, also a water bottle and a Kettle Bell). That last little section above Dead Dog always makes me think twice when crossing, even with an axe and traction. A slip here would be a long ride!

Alos, nice work on the Salida Double Fondo 2nd place finish a few weeks back! I chatted with you briefly as you passed me at the beginning but then quickly faded back. That was a long and fun day!
Last edited by Stevo on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Stevo wrote: Alos, nice work on the Salida Double Fondo 2nd place finish a few weeks back! I chatted with you briefly as you passed me at the beginning but then quickly faded back. That was a long and fun day!
Oh, thanks a lot! Not bad, considering it took two days to ride out! My thanks as well to the town of Salida, who always make an incredible host.

Have fun on the mountain!