Quandary West Ridge?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
emiller6
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Quandary West Ridge?

Post by emiller6 »

Has anyone been up this route lately? The beta would be much appreciated, looking at this for possibly Friday. Thanks in advance!
robinbk
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Quandary West Ridge?

Post by robinbk »

I got nothing for you, but I'd like to know the same thing. I'm hoping to hit it on Saturday. If you do it on Friday and get a chance to post conditions afterward, that would be great!
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

To get out of the basin and gain the ridge, you'll need an axe and crampons for about 100 yards. Once on the ridge, snow is mostly avoidable. I think there were 3 short areas where I had to cross snow and used only axe there. I was there last weekend. Pm if you want more info. Good luck, it's a fun one and when you get to the top everyone will wonder where you came from.
emiller6
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emiller6 »

Thanks for the update on the trail conditions. Looks like real crappy weather on Friday (potential for rain/snow in the am), so I may have to bail on this route option. Hopefully the forecast changes for the better.
robinbk
14ers: 49 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robinbk »

Justin9, thanks for the beta! I'll make sure we've got basic snow gear in the packs. Looks like Saturday should be nice.
MitchellS
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by MitchellS »

I was thinking about trying the West Ridge on Wednesday and would be really curious to hear about the conditions before I drive up!
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

bump. Any update would be much appreciated.
MitchellS
Trip Reports (5)

Post by MitchellS »

I'm considering the West Ridge and possibly doubling with the Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans loop next Tuesday for a high quality day of class 3 hiking. If no one posts a report, I'll have one up after Tuesday.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

MitchellS wrote:I'm considering the West Ridge and possibly doubling with the Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans loop next Tuesday for a high quality day of class 3 hiking. If no one posts a report, I'll have one up after Tuesday.
That's a pretty long day. You're planning west ridge and then driving and doing sawtooth all in one day? I'm definitely looking forward to that trip report.
I'm slower than Scott P.
MitchellS
Trip Reports (5)

Post by MitchellS »

I might try it the other way around, I'm not sure yet. West Ridge has a better bail out option than Bierstadt/Evans. It all depends on the weather honestly. If monsoon season kicks in, I'll have to call off the double.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Once you gain the W Ridge on Quandary, there's no bailout options. Trying to bail out is how everyone gets in trouble on that route.

You gotta go up and over the summit and down the East Ridge, or back track. Back tracking is not a super fun option. Whatever you do, do not try to go down one of the gullies once on the ridge proper.
NathanReitmeier
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NathanReitmeier »

MitchellS wrote:I'm considering the West Ridge and possibly doubling with the Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans loop next Tuesday for a high quality day of class 3 hiking. If no one posts a report, I'll have one up after Tuesday.

Mitchell, did you end up hiking the West Ridge? Do you think it still requires snow gear (crampons & axe) to make it?