C3 gully - Ellingwood Point from Zapata Creek

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scootmanjones
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

C3 gully - Ellingwood Point from Zapata Creek

Post by scootmanjones »

Can anyone estimate when to expect the C3 gully on the Zapata Creek approach to Ellingwood Point to be snow free? The route description says that it melts out a month or so sooner than the C2 does. Just trying to understand when it would be possible to climb up the C3 gully in near "summer" conditions.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Re: C3 gully - Ellingwood Point from Zapata Creek

Post by eskermo »

I will be descending Ellingwood via C2 tomorrow (if everything goes well), so I will try to get a picture of C3 so you can check out the current conditions.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: C3 gully - Ellingwood Point from Zapata Creek

Post by geojed »

Some pics here. http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_en ... ecnum=3322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not of C3, but a comment says the C2 is about half melted out. If that is true, the C3 is almost certainly melted out.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein