Longs Peak conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Peak conditions?

Post by MuchosPixels »

Trotter wrote:A friend and I are hoping to climb longs peak this week. Its our first time up longs, and we would take Keyhole or Loft route, depending on conditions.

Anyone been up there recently, can give conditions? I'm especially interested in the amount of snow still up top, if we need spikes or snowshoes, etc.
Long's Keyhole route should be snow free by August from the looks of things this year.
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Trotter wrote:ok we gonna go La Plata peak tomorrow morning. If anyone would like to come let me know. We are fairly fast hikers.
I think you have to approach from Winfield, as the bridge at the standard TH is out.
Air Squared
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Air Squared »

Trotter wrote:ok we gonna go La Plata peak tomorrow morning. If anyone would like to come let me know. We are fairly fast hikers.
Have fun........LaPlata rocks.

IMO, it's the most scenic 14er I've done thus far.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Keyhole route is melting out fast, but an axe is nice to make quicker progress. Some miserable people going without anyways. You can get through homestretch without touching snow. Cables is a waterfall. Good enough to rap down but not so much to climb. Loft route is mostly snow free once on the loft, still would bring an axe. Loft couloir is really spotty.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Sugar Madison wrote:
I think you have to approach from Winfield, as the bridge at the standard TH is out.

We did.

La Plata was beautiful, very nice hike and no ice axe needed lol
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

justiner wrote:Keyhole route is melting out fast, but an axe is nice to make quicker progress. Some miserable people going without anyways. You can get through homestretch without touching snow. Cables is a waterfall. Good enough to rap down but not so much to climb. Loft route is mostly snow free once on the loft, still would bring an axe. Loft couloir is really spotty.
Sweet. Do you think that in two weeks the keyhole route should be snow free and good to go? How about the cables? I would rather go up that route.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

A ton of people are going to be at the Park this weekend to try the keyhole route for sure. My guess that in two weeks it'll be basically summer conditions. Still doesn't hurt to bring an axe. No idea on Cables to be honest. Guess is that it'll be wet for a while.
antonkrupicka
Trip Reports (0)

Post by antonkrupicka »

I went up Kieners and down the Cables this morning, starting at 6:30am, crossing Lambs to access Broadway at ~7:45am and descending the snow on the North Face before 8:30am…nothing seemed to have froze overnight, so the snow was soft enough to kick across in trail runners. Album of photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 723&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Any eyes on the Loft? Much snow left?
antonkrupicka
Trip Reports (0)

Post by antonkrupicka »

loft.jpg
loft.jpg (208.01 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Here's what I got for the Loft. Looks like a bit of snow before you get to the escape ramp.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Awesome. Thank you!