Best Collegiate Peak 14er to summit?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Best Collegiate Peak 14er to summit?

Post by jdorje »

Okay that's just too much. Even the internet does not know about an ouray college or university.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Yale's Denny Creek trail is beautiful, I enjoyed it for the first time last weekend (only other time I've seen it was covered with snow in a blizzard.)

Huron University in South Dakota Closed in 2005... so Huron University College in Ontario is the remaining aspect of that otherwise Sawatch mountain being considered a Collegiate.
College of Southern Maryland (next door to the college of Northern Maryland) - is commonly referred to as the La Plata Campus.

So really, at best, these peaks aren't full fledged Collegiates, they are more like at the Associate's level.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Best Collegiate Peak to summit?

Post by rijaca »

Colorado Mines.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

jdorje wrote:Okay that's just too much. Even the internet does not know about an ouray college or university.
OK, then how about Everest?

Of the traditional Collegiate Peaks, I'd pick Harvard. But I prefer Ouray, and it's closer to Buena Vista than Colorado Mines Peak. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

Bross
MattDelSur
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MattDelSur »

^ I thought Bross was closed - or at least, if I climb it, I may be endangering its access for future generations.
All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

It would be a tragedy if my grandchildren are denied the awesomeness of Bross.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Corndiggs
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Corndiggs »

Harvard

This reminds me of a young raft guide we ran with on the Arkansas several years ago. She was listing off the 5 collegiate peaks for some out of staters; i couldnt help but laugh when her list concluded with Missouri....
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado's own. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential
aleugers
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aleugers »

I like Yale if day tripping from Denver or Huron if camping. I thought the views were better from Huron but thought Yale offered more variety in the climb, possibly because Yale was a little longer and had a few stream crossings. Camping at Huron was great and plenty of spots but that won't be the case on 4th of July weekend.
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Huron and La Plata were my favorites.
Sorry, stupid me, I should have mentioned that I've done Huron and La Plata (& Massive) - I didn't know those were in the Collegiate range :oops: I was just figuring on those peaks with Collegiate names :)
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

So it seems like Harvard is the overall favorite. I was banking on Yale after seeing a few recent trip reports, the views looked really nice. But I'll be looking into Harvard now as well. Thanks for all of your posts!
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

I'm throwing my hat in for Yale..great views of almost half the state's 14ers. I really enjoyed it, but that is really the only "Collegiate" Peak I have under my belt. Wait, Belford too, but Yale is way better.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.