Pawnee pass snow coverage?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cova2120
Trip Reports (0)

Pawnee pass snow coverage?

Post by cova2120 »

Hi, first time on the board. I was planning a trip out to lone eagle peak via Pawnee Pass. Are the conditions good enough to do this hike without crampons and an ice ax. I talked to the forest service in boulder and they said it is still really snowy. Has anyone been up there recently/gone through the pass? Let me know. I'm trying to do this trip around July 12th..

Thanks!!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Pawnee pass snow coverage?

Post by AlexeyD »

cova2120 wrote:Hi, first time on the board. I was planning a trip out to lone eagle peak via Pawnee Pass. Are the conditions good enough to do this hike without crampons and an ice ax. I talked to the forest service in boulder and they said it is still really snowy. Has anyone been up there recently/gone through the pass? Let me know. I'm trying to do this trip around July 12th..

Thanks!!
Haven't done the actual trail, but as of June 30, the start of the trail near Lake Isabelle looked snowy and untracked. From the summit of Apache, the pass itself looked clear, but the terrain going up to it definitely still had snow.

I imagine things might change quite a bit by the 12th, though, with all the recent warm weather.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Pawnee pass snow coverage?

Post by HuskyRunner »

When I ran the loop a few years ago the trail below Pawnee Lake has been obscured with some downfall making it a little less than obvious where the trail goes, with some snow in those denser woods it might take a little time to find the trail if you're not familiar with the area.

Why not just drive over to the Granby side and hike in from there?
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker