The monsoon...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Re: The monsoon...

Post by Steve Climber »

Scott P wrote:Be aware that List of Johns can pull up something different in your browser. :wink:
LOL Well done, sir!!!

I have nothing of value to add to the discussion, but that was too good to not comment on
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Monster5 wrote:I seem to recall Natalie had a different view on 13ers a couple years back and now she's chugging through some quality ones :lol:
I look forward to joining her LCW finisher in another couple years...
Indeed Ryan. The emphasis is on "quality". ;) It may take me a few years to start doing some meaningless lumps, but I guess never say never. Gotta say though that that Edwards-Argentine-Wilcox loop (along with the French group and descent from Emerald) is still among the least favorite days in the mountains that made me question my hobby and made for a terrible intro into 13ers. So thank you for that. Thankfully, I have since found ways to increase the "fun factor" on otherwise less interesting peaks.
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

nkan02 wrote:Gotta say though that that Edwards-Argentine-Wilcox loop (along with the French group and descent from Emerald) is still among the least favorite days in the mountains that made me question my hobby and made for a terrible intro into 13ers.
Someone once told me, "it is all about perspective". How true that is!
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Scott P wrote:
Why is List of John's such a terrible website?
It's actually Lists of John (singular John, plural list).

Be aware that List of Johns can pull up something different in your browser. :wink:
HAHAHA!! :oops:
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

benners wrote:
nkan02 wrote:Gotta say though that that Edwards-Argentine-Wilcox loop (along with the French group and descent from Emerald) is still among the least favorite days in the mountains that made me question my hobby and made for a terrible intro into 13ers.
Someone once told me, "it is all about perspective". How true that is!
Skiing has the way to change your perspective. Isn't it so, Ben? :) I am soooo looking forward to Sawatch 13ers. In spring :) The French group looked incredible as a ski descent option.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Typically, I like to substitute the lack of an adrenaline rush on some peaks with good, positive company, conversation, or creative route planning. However, every once in a while, it's nice to turn the mind off and cruise along enjoying the scenery and exercise without having to worry about the whole death or serious injury thing to myself or whoever is in my party. Some people like to tip the balance more in that direction and that sounds fantastic for them - my opinion on their mountain preference is completely irrelevant and best pocketed.

Once the girlfriend gets good enough to rope gun me up everything and take on most of the risk, I'll probably look into solely doing difficult routes. Top-rope following sufficiently feeds my ego.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Monster5 wrote:Top-rope following sufficiently feeds my ego.
The first time I nailed an 8' assisted dyno I was hooked. Let's see some sissy on lead pull that kind of move!!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

You need to play around real peaks (unfortunately, I haven't been able to). Here is my daughter and trekking group at the base of Jannu (camping at 15,400, Jannu is > 25,000) where they camped for 3 days. The day after the picture, it was snowing (real monsoons) and an avalanche came off the right side of the picture just above their camp. Sigh.
Jannu.JPG
Jannu.JPG (115.67 KiB) Viewed 484 times
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Steve Climber wrote:
Monster5 wrote:Top-rope following sufficiently feeds my ego.
The first time I nailed an 8' assisted dyno I was hooked. Let's see some sissy on lead pull that kind of move!!
The first time I got an erection looking in the mirror, I was hooked. God I love me. =P~
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

It's almost like different people have different preferences. Weird!

Climb what you enjoy, and let others climb what they enjoy. No judgment required.

Perspective (and self-awareness) are fickle beasts. I've definitely been on the wrong side of both many times, but that's how you gain those qualities, I guess.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

SurfNTurf wrote:Climb what you enjoy, and let others climb what they enjoy. No judgment required.
Absolutely ! People have different goals, different interests that stoke us, different abilities, different opinions, different tastes. Doesn't make that other person wrong, and you right. It just makes that person different than you - and that's OK ! No need to judge, and no need to somehow feel superior.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Back on topic. Looking at Sneffels for Thurs. Anybody down there know if the storms have been firing off in the mornings or has there been a window, albeit smaller than typical