DeCaLiBro - Standard or Reverse?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: DeCaLiBro - Standard or Reverse?

Post by justiner »

Ehhhhh, it's a popular mountain(s), and the Bross trail is unsustainable to be used for so many people. I think that in itself is reason enough to avoid unless there's a good reason. The place ain't environmental perfection to begin with, or anything, but perhaps that's not a good argument to *continue* it's downward trajectory to blah-ness.
Danny504
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Danny504 »

Just did the standard loop today. The worst part IMO was descending Bross. I can't imagine ascending that crap. Wasn't much of a surfing descent for me; just hell on my knees and feet.
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

I have done it in reverse twice and recommend it. I feel that going up Bross wasn't too bad at all... plus, going Bross, Lincoln, Cameron then Democrat gets the less aesthetic peak (Bross) out of the way first and then the peaks get cooler with better views as you go :) Have fun which ever way you go!

Randy
PMurray
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PMurray »

Yoric wrote:
nsaladin wrote:I would just loop back to the cameron democrat saddle and go down that way. Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, Bross, back to Cameron/Democrat Saddle. Longer hike but beats going down Bross.
+1 for this suggestion. Bross is awful to descend (or ascend I'm sure). Tons of steep, loose rock to slide on.
+2
He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights - Psalm 18:33 (NLT)

Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean – John Muir
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I've done the return via the Demo-Cameron saddle several times, and it's really not much extra effort. It also gets you some extra ridgewalking, which is always a plus in my book.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
brooked
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by brooked »

Thanks for this thread. I'm doing DeCaLiBro on Friday and almost posted the same thing. Since my right knee has been giving me problems on other 14er descents, I'm pretty worried about the Bross scree. Trying to decide between reverse or going back to Cameron saddle. These comments have been helpful. At least they confirmed for me that going down Bross with my already bad knee is not a good idea.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

anasarca76 wrote:I have done it in reverse twice and recommend it. I feel that going up Bross wasn't too bad at all... plus, going Bross, Lincoln, Cameron then Democrat gets the less aesthetic peak (Bross) out of the way first and then the peaks get cooler with better views as you go :) Have fun which ever way you go!
That's good to hear. I've also heard that then you don't have to deal with the scree-surfing going down... might be a tad more challenging going up it but then again you're against the crowd so less people/traffic too. Thanks for the input! When you ascended Bross did you at all feel that you kept sliding back down or was it no more than usual for slippery slopes?
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

As long as you are on the defined trail descending Bross isn't that bad, careful steps here and there but nothing to nasty. I also don't see why it would be that bad to ascend and start your hike with Bross.

Whatever you do, do not step on the summit of Bross. From what I hear, it may be on private property 8-[
14erobsessedkansan
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 14erobsessedkansan »

We just did the standard route a few weeks ago, without heading to the actual Bross summit. After a long day's hike, we found the Bross descent very unsavory. I am experiencing my first case of "black toe" because of it, though to be fair it is minor and that cannot be fully blamed on the loose rocks. Some loose dirt and rock for a bit is to be expected on most 14ers I think, but Bross is solid loose crap nearly all the way down to the lake, like 2k feet right?
In our experience it was not safe or straightforward enough to simply "scree slide".
Going DeCaLiBro or BroLiCaDe I think is a coin flip. The easy stretch of the whole circuit is that between Cameron to Lincoln to Bross or vice versa. So what do you want to tackle first or last -- the very loose Bross (less elevation too if you skip the summit) OR the long Class 2 but still taxing Democrat - Cameron stretch.

I also +1 the idea of going as far up Bross as you wish and then heading back towards Cameron. Knowing what I know now, thats what we would have done I think.
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote:When you ascended Bross did you at all feel that you kept sliding back down or was it no more than usual for slippery slopes?
It wasn't great, but no more than usual (for a trail that is notorious for slipperiness). The way I figured is that you don't have the momentum taking you downward while ascending so the slippage is decreased. I haven't descended, so I cant make a direct comparison, but that reasoning makes sense to me. I just watched were I stepped and it wasn't a problem. I prefer that method as you avoid a large portion of the crowds :)
High_On_Thin_Air
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by High_On_Thin_Air »

I did the standard Dem, cam, linc, bross hike, and coming down bross sucked majorly. it's a 'trail' (more like groove) on an unstable talus slope. most all of the talus is the same size range, which I suppose is nice as opposed to the first gully heading up the little bear standard route. anyways, I'm only chiming in because I thought to myself the whole time going down that slope that I'd rather be ending my hike coming down Democrat.

I think BroLiCaDe would be more fun over all. Despite not being fun to say.
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

anasarca76 wrote:I have done it in reverse twice and recommend it. I feel that going up Bross wasn't too bad at all... plus, going Bross, Lincoln, Cameron then Democrat gets the less aesthetic peak (Bross) out of the way first and then the peaks get cooler with better views as you go :) Have fun which ever way you go!

Randy
+1
Going up Bross wasn't too bad at all IMO & would prefer it to descending. Also had no crowds going the reverse way until heading to Dem (maybe 7-8 people on Lincoln)
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson