beginner class 4

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: beginner class 4

Post by scramble »

i generally agree with the mountain project consensus on these flatiron routes (5.0 for freeway, 5.2 for the first flatironette). 4th class routes i have done have seemed easier. or maybe i'm just a sucker for handholds.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: beginner class 4

Post by HuskyRunner »

You can make parts of the Sawtooth 4th class by going directly over the gendarme and another spot going straight up from the ledges instead of exiting up and left (coming from Bierstadt) but keep in mind that a mistake here will result in serious injury/death. Just did Wheeler Mtn (10 mile range between Northstar and Lincoln) and by staying on the ridge there is a bit of 3+/4 class terrain. Bancroft east ridge has a good bit of 4th class but there is the rappel and the short section of easy 5th out of the notch. If you do the Citadel the traverse over to Pettingel is fun but does include a rappel (~50ft) over easy 5th off the north end of the Citadel.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker