Longs Peak - Clark's Arrow - Gone !!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Longs Peak - Clark's Arrow - Gone !!

Post by martinleroux »

Just got this email. Sorry if someone else has already posted this information, apparently it happened a few months ago.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Subject: Clark's Arrow -- Gone !!

Perhaps my favorite hike to the summit of Longs Peak is the Loft to Clark's Arrow. So yesterday I headed for the summit via Clark's Arrow. When I got to the Loft, I began my usual wandering in the general direction of the top of the Clark's Arrow/gully. As I got closer to the edge, things started looking unfamiliar. When I got to the edge, I was amazed. The Clark's Arrow route is gone, swept 1500 feet down into Keplinger's Couloir — certainly another casualty of the September rains. All that remains is a huge debris field. I pieced together a route that took me into some new terrain beneath the Palisades; it's no more difficult than the original route once you get across the debris field. It's worth a visit to see another example of instant geology. Also, if you are planning a link-up between Longs and Meeker, it would be good to know that things have changed.

For the rest of the hike, I kept thinking (like you probably are) that I must have been off-route. When I returned to the Ranger Station, they told me that a climbing ranger had left a few hours after me to do Clark's Arrow. I just got her report today and she confirmed that Clark's Arrow is gone.

All I know,

BB
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Longs Peak - Clark's Arrow - Gone !!

Post by justiner »

I was there a week ago.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Welp, I feel a little better about not finding the right gully. This cairn is still around:

If anyone knows what he's doing, it's Bill Briggs.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Interesting! Clark's Arrow was there at the beginning of June this year. The boulders above it were perched more precariously and required more care than I remembered though as much of the smaller stuff had washed out. Freeze/thaw and general wasting finished what the floods started I guess. It'd be great to see a picture.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

What?? Wow! I'm with Ryan, I'd love to see a photo.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Could someone pry the rock off and take it?
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

PaliKona wrote:Could someone pry the rock off and take it?
Don't think that would be possible. I always thought the Arrow itself was on a pretty solid rock face. The "trail" itself I could see being washed out, but I find it rather amazing that the Arrow itself came down. Must have been a rather significant slide to erode all of that!
The Arrow in 2010:
Attachments
Clarks Arrow.JPG
Clarks Arrow.JPG (257.38 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
Mtn_Mermaid
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mtn_Mermaid »

Whoa! What?! Wait .... the Legendary Clark's Arrow?! I haven't been on that route in a while. I'm still blown away by the landslide on Twin Sisters .... but Clarks ... gone. Seems only proper to rename the route then. BTW: This would have been a brilliant thread for April Fools Day. Just sayin. :-D
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~ John Muir
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

Out of curiosity, who was the Clark that the arrow was named for?
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

"A marker painted by Ranger John Clark in the early days of Rocky Mountain National Park showing the way to the saddle between Mt. Meeker and Longs Peak."

This is a short YouTube video of the arrow and rock structure it was on, all apparently gone now. I looked for it going up Keplinger's and missed it, so now it's too late, dang it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-FWZkVop1E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

This totally bums me out. Finding Clark's Arrow was one of my proudest early route-finding achievements. Sad to know it's gone.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Relative to Zero
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Relative to Zero »

Mtn_Mermaid wrote:Whoa! What?! Wait .... the Legendary Clark's Arrow?! I haven't been on that route in a while. I'm still blown away by the landslide on Twin Sisters .... but Clarks ... gone. Seems only proper to rename the route then. BTW: This would have been a brilliant thread for April Fools Day. Just sayin. :-D
Broken Arrow

Just throwing it out there. :-"
ROCK! ROCK! Rock!