Meetup group on Maroon Bells

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Meetup group on Maroon Bells

Post by aliciaf »

I just want to give everyone a fair warning... a Meetup group I'm in is hosting a meetup to climb Maroon Peak Saturday 7/12. There are currently 21 people RSVP'd and I'm unsure of the ability level of the people who have RSVP'd. Warnings have been given about the difficulty of the climb, the current group size and danger by a few different people, but it seems as though the group is still planning on going. I truly hope everything goes well for them.

My husband and I were planning on possibly doing Maroon Peak this weekend (independently of the Meetup group) but changed our minds when we realized this group will be on the route. I just thought others might want to have the heads up as well.
Last edited by aliciaf on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Meetup group on Maroon Bells

Post by ameristrat »

That's a big group for the bells. Hope everyone stays safe - I agree with your decision to stay away! Hopefully you guys can find something else fun to climb this weekend!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Thank you aliciaf for bowing out and not participating with the group, I know the oversized group thing has been hammered to death on more than one occasion, but it seems this meetup group needs a reminder.

Can you forward on to the others who still plan on going that they cannot have a group that large in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness? Maybe they can voluntarily agree to split their group into 10 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday and the 21st person bows out as you and your husband have? The regs for MB-S Wilderness limit groups to 10 humans, not to mention just the safety issue of having 21 people climbing together on the bells :shock:

Thank you!
ALL VISITORS

The following acts are PROHIBITED:

1. Groups of more than 10 people or having more than 15 pack or saddle animals.
http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView ... ement#regs
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

ameristrat wrote:That's a big group for the bells. Hope everyone stays safe - I agree with your decision to stay away! Hopefully you guys can find something else fun to climb this weekend!
+1. I'd be avoiding that like the plague. Nice of you to give a heads up.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

mtgirl wrote:
ameristrat wrote:That's a big group for the bells. Hope everyone stays safe - I agree with your decision to stay away! Hopefully you guys can find something else fun to climb this weekend!
+1. I'd be avoiding that like the plague. Nice of you to give a heads up.
+1 One reason I avoid weekends on anything with significant rock fall danger or difficulty until after August.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

aliciaf wrote:I just want to give everyone a fair warning... a Meetup group I'm in is hosting a meetup to climb Maroon Peak Saturday 7/12. There are currently 21 people RSVP'd and I'm unsure of the ability level of the people who have RSVP'd. Warnings have been given about the difficulty of the climb, the current group size and danger by a few different people, but it seems as though the group is still planning on going. I truly hope everything goes well for them.

My husband and I were planning on possibly doing Maroon Peak this weekend (independently of the Meetup group) but changed our minds when we realized this group will be on the route. I just thought others might want to have the heads up as well.
:shock: ...what I find amazing is that someone actually thought this was a good idea. #-o
Kudos to you for dropping out.

Some peaks simply do not respond well to large groups of people.

BTW: when we were up there last week, I pulled out all the papers inside the tube. It was a wet mess. So if you go, leave new paper.
A pen would be beneficial too. I left the tube.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Chicago Transplant wrote:Thank you aliciaf for bowing out and not participating with the group, I know the oversized group thing has been hammered to death on more than one occasion, but it seems this meetup group needs a reminder.

Can you forward on to the others who still plan on going that they cannot have a group that large in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness? Maybe they can voluntarily agree to split their group into 10 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday and the 21st person bows out as you and your husband have? The regs for MB-S Wilderness limit groups to 10 humans, not to mention just the safety issue of having 21 people climbing together on the bells :shock:

Thank you!
ALL VISITORS

http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView ... ement#regs
This.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

a bit off topic, but I bet this 10 person group rule gets regularly violated in wilderness areas during hunting season.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

ALL VISITORS

So it's okay to have 10 people with 15 horses but not 11 people and no horses? Seems like 15 horses worth of poop on the trail is a bigger distraction than 1 more set of footprints.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I suspect this part of more general regularization prevent over commercialization. Some outfitters may over use trails. Large groups are less safe. All in the name of more profit for the outfitters. Not to much less enjoyment by non-tour groups and ecological degradation. Tour buses are limited in national parks. Some decades its has been horse riding and hunting. Others rock climbing and trail races.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I agree that large groups of horses are going to create a lot of damage and will negatively impact the Wilderness experience of others. I guess the horse lobby was a strong one back in 1964 when the Wilderness Act was passed?

Debating the merits of the rules aside, let's hope the large group gets the message and more people follow alicia's lead and back out. 8)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Yikes! How nature says: "Stay Away" (from an old far side cartoon...)

Just out of curiosity, which meetup group is it? (there are so many)