Handies from American Basin Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BlueKhan
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Handies from American Basin Conditions

Post by BlueKhan »

Beto wrote:I was hoping to do Handies via American Basin in a couple of weeks, but I'm driving a stock minivan that my wife would prefer (ok...mandates) I not trash. The route description suggests that normally the 2WD road is only .9 miles from the TH, which I was just going to walk. I'm sorta thinking I misunderstand.

What would be the best way to do this? Maybe rent a jeep for the day in Lake City?
Doing it from Grizzly Gulch would be much cheaper, I've taken my Saturn Ion up to Grizzly (given it was October 2012) and there were some pretty tricky drainage ditches to get through. I wouldn't attempt going very much past Grizzly Gulch in anything less than a moderate clearance 4X4. As mr. Chris's recent beta suggests, I probably wouldn't take my Ion back up there this season.
Rcizzle
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Rcizzle »

If you decide to take a spin around Engineer and Cinnamon up high, be aware that there could be ALOT of Jeep traffic. Can be a bit slow. Views are definitely worth it.
Bad decisions make good stories.
CMar75
14ers: 43 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CMar75 »

I was in the mountains with no internet to see the rest of the responses to this about the road. So...I took my 2010 Honda Pilot (not 4wd) up to the end of the 2WD part. I can attest to what others are saying - there are 3 really tricky parts before the end of this '2WD' part of the road that are worse than the rest of the 4WD to AB. I went for it and ended up with some damage underneath. If you want to go all the way, I suggest you rent/borrow a 4WD.

The hike was amazing with the waterfalls and all the flowers!! We were chased off by a major storm about 100 yds from the top, but I'll be back...