Sunlight, Windom day 1 or Eolus, N. Eolus?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlee83
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Sunlight, Windom day 1 or Eolus, N. Eolus?

Post by tlee83 »

We are hitting Chicago Basin next week and I'm wondering if we should do Eolus and N. Eolus first, then Sunlight and Windom the next day or reverse? We have Class 3 experience but Sunlight will be first class 4.
"We reached the tree line and I dropped my pack
Sat down on my haunches and I looked back down
Over the mountain
Helpless and speechless and breathless"
-James Taylor
Jeff_F
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunlight, Windom day 1 or Eolus, N. Eolus?

Post by Jeff_F »

Personally if I were to do it over again, I'd do Sunlight and Windom first and then follow it up the next with Eolus. The Sunlight and Windom combo was more of a scramble (IIRC) than Eolus and tougher on the body. Enjoy the trip, beautiful area!!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir
hilo21
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hilo21 »

Sunlight and Windom first, most definitely.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Agreed. Sun/Win then the Eol/N.Eol pair. Note Sunlight is class 2/3 unless you opt for the final summit block which is a class 4 move or two. Not too hard, just very exposed at the top.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

You might consider an extra early start and do Eolus first, then Sunlight, and finally Windom in the same day. That will save you from repeating the elevation gain to Twin Lakes. If you don't complete them all in a day, you climb whatever's left the next day. You can do the peaks in whatever order you want, but I found that Windom last works best since it's the least challenging of the bunch.(I'm not counting N Eolus since it's not separate).
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
bob863
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bob863 »

I second the vote for Eolus, N. Eolus, Sunlight and then Windom...they can all be done in a single day (given a very early start and weather permitting)....from Sunlight, you don't have to drop all the way back down to Twin Lakes to do Windom if you're willing to do a little cross-country scrambling....