Buckskin to Democrat Traverse?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Buckskin to Democrat Traverse?

Post by Hungry Jack »

How is this in terms of fun class 3/4 ridge scrambles in the pantheon of Ten Mile / Mosquito traverses? I have done Quandary's west ridge, Mt Helen to Father Dyer, and Democrat's north ridge, and enjoyed them all. Is this worth investigating, or should I stick to Clint Eastwood movies?
please rotate your device
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Buckskin to Democrat Traverse?

Post by Jim Davies »

My wife, son and I tried this once, but gave up fairly early. There was a sort of "knife edge" at the low point that was level, narrow, exposed, and covered with loose rock. It took a little work to get to that point, as there were some scrambly (and not very solid) sections on the lower part coming from Buckskin. It might have been possible to bypass the knife edge on the talus below, but we'd had enough at that point dealing with some big stuff that moved in scary ways, etc. Roach's ridge description has you climbing to the ridge above this point, from Lake Emma, so that might be more fun. It didn't look all that bad past the knife edge.

Before we tried this I asked about it on 14erworld, and got an answer from Ken Nolan saying that it was class 3, and that he'd done it three times. I guess I'm not Ken Nolan. I'm not Michael Jordan either. :)
Last edited by Jim Davies on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

I've been curious about this, too. This was posted last August (not hugely informative):

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14024
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

HJ, you should look into the east ridge of Pacific Peak. Miles of pointless scrambling. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Dezelrig
14ers: 37  1  2 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dezelrig »

Hungry Jack wrote:How is this in terms of fun class 3/4 ridge scrambles in the pantheon of Ten Mile / Mosquito traverses? I have done Quandary's west ridge, Mt Helen to Father Dyer, and Democrat's north ridge, and enjoyed them all. Is this worth investigating, or should I stick to Clint Eastwood movies?
Investigate the ridge while watching The Enforcer.

:-D
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I didn't do the full traverse so can't speak to lower portion of Buckskin, but I can say the remaining ridge (from powerlines at saddle to Demo summit) is quite enjoyable. Great 3rd and 4th scrambling (with some 5th if you choose). The rock is weird though...goes from solid to rotten and back several times as you pass multiple towers. Actually one of my favorite ridge scrambles to date.
Attachments
climbing4.jpg
climbing4.jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
climbing1.jpg
climbing1.jpg (61.49 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
climbing.jpg
climbing.jpg (68.11 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
hvolmer
14ers: 20 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hvolmer »

I started towards Democrat from where the power lines drop over the edge towards Climax. I was by myself, and didn't get very far before it started to seem like a poor decision. I kept restarting things and winding up on ledges that led me over the valley feeling hyper-exposed. Steve Climber mentions rotten. That's really what spooked me. A competent partner would have helped.

For reference, I haven't done a lot of this sort of thing. I felt comfortable on "the usuals": Torreys' Kelso Ridge, B-S-E, Quandry west, and whatever stupid route I've chosen on any number of 13ers. I didn't feel good on the Buckskin to Democrat ridge at all.
jlarson630
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 11 1 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jlarson630 »

I did this section on sort of a tour de democrat where we went up via democrats north ridge and then went over to buckskin with a hitchhike from kite lake back to the other th. I will say relative to the north ridge, the ridge to buckskin has poorer rock quality which makes it a little more spicey. I found it to be fairly straight forward class 3 the whole way with a few short moments of back tracking. The ridge really looks gnarlier than it is. I felt pretty comfortable the whole time but that's subjective I suppose. Overall, would recommend the north ridge of demo over the bucksckin-demo traverse due to rock quality and aesthetics.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I’m thinking of bringing a friend up Democrat, then continuing to Buckskin via the traverse while he returns to the TH. This is the most recent thread with information about the traverse, however, the opinions on it vary greatly. I researched the one trip report which includes the traverse (Buckskin to Democrat). What I’m seeing is if you stay ridge proper the rock is more solid, but you will encounter class 4-5 sections. Bypass these sections and you are on really crappy rock. It does not say what the exposure is on these areas of crappy rock.

Has anybody done this route more recently who can give me a little more beta on what I can expect? Is it worth doing or am I destine to be cursing myself out ½ way through?

Thanks
Century Bound, eventually.
LAW
14ers: 57  12  1 
13ers: 87 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LAW »

It's been a while since I did this traverse, but I believe 4th/5th class "if you want" are operative words. Don't remember any major exposure, think you can pretty much walk around any tough climbing, seems like the west side is not too steep. Again, it's been a while and everything is relative to your experience. Thought picking up Buckskin to Democrat and on around the rest was a great way to loop the group.
sodomike
14ers: 19  5 
13ers: 141 23 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sodomike »

I enjoyed the hell out of this route - although I do agree with a previous response about the rock quality going from solid and fun to loose and lame multiple times. That said I found reasonable class 3 for most of the ridge proper and even thought there were many pretty mellow class 2ish bailouts to the west/north the few times I felt uncomfortable with the ridge itself (I was solo).
It was straightforward getting from the Kite Lake TH up the grassy slopes to Buckskin, saw a nice couple there, then didn't see another person until I popped out on Democrat's summit to the surprise of the few dozen hikers there!

Enjoy!
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

I did this solo in June 2017. I'm no Ken Nolan either but don't remember it as more than Class 3. I'm sure you can find C4/5 sections but should be possible to keep it 3 or below.
Aim high to end high