Dead dog conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jeffskio
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Dead dog conditions?

Post by jeffskio »

Does anyone know the conditions on dead dog? I saw that there is still snow to the ridge after the gray rocks from a recent trip report, so I assume most of the rest is in.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Dead dog conditions?

Post by AlexeyD »

My wife and I climbed Dead Dog on Saturday the 12th (the only ones to do so of the 100s of people on Torreys that day). The entire couloir still has continuous snow all the way up to where it meets Kelso Ridge. Weather was pretty warm even at 7 am when we started the couloir, but fortunately a cloud bank kept the sun at bay for the first hour or so, keeping things from warming up too much. The snow apron leading up into the couloir proper is now split into two forks; we took the left one, which looked more prominent. Snow was variable, sometimes quite soft and sometimes firmer. Snow depth was adequate throughout. Generally softer near the top. A lot of runnels and rockfall debris particularly on the apron going up to the couloir, so skiing would probably not be very good, but we were fortunate not to experience any rockfall during the entire climb. The topout no longer has a cornice, and varies from about 45 to 50 degrees, steeper as you go left. All in all great conditions for mid-July. Enjoy!
theglobalguy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by theglobalguy »

Hey Alexey, that was a nice climb that you and your wife did...I was one of the few people on Kelso's ridge on Saturday that saw you coming up Dead Dog..I'm not sure I'd have attempted it this late in the season.
jeffskio
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffskio »

Just climbed it and found the same conditions. It was a great climb for July. Start by 6 at the base of it if you plan on climbing soon