Route conditions from Kilpacker to Mt. Wilson

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
waltoncito
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Route conditions from Kilpacker to Mt. Wilson

Post by waltoncito »

desertdog wrote:
macgyver wrote:Wondering if anyone has recently hiked Mt. Wilson from Kilpacker, without doing the traverse from El D? I’ve seen pics from a thread on climbing Diente and saw a good amount of snow. Just curious on conditions of that snow and the direct route up to Wilson from Kilpacker. Would an axe be recommended on the short class 3 approach to the summit? Heading up there this weekend. Thanks.
We are planning on this for 7/24. I've been thinking switching to the Navajo Lake route if there's too much snow on the Kilpacker route. I would really appreciate it you could post some conditions and pictures from your climb!
desertdog, you still going to be up there on 7/24? Me and 2 of my buddies are planning the traverse for Thursday (weather depending). Are you doing the traverse or going straight for Mt. Wilson? Maybe we will see you guys up there.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

waltoncito wrote:
desertdog wrote:
macgyver wrote:Wondering if anyone has recently hiked Mt. Wilson from Kilpacker, without doing the traverse from El D? I’ve seen pics from a thread on climbing Diente and saw a good amount of snow. Just curious on conditions of that snow and the direct route up to Wilson from Kilpacker. Would an axe be recommended on the short class 3 approach to the summit? Heading up there this weekend. Thanks.
We are planning on this for 7/24. I've been thinking switching to the Navajo Lake route if there's too much snow on the Kilpacker route. I would really appreciate it you could post some conditions and pictures from your climb!
desertdog, you still going to be up there on 7/24? Me and 2 of my buddies are planning the traverse for Thursday (weather depending). Are you doing the traverse or going straight for Mt. Wilson? Maybe we will see you guys up there.
Would like to hook up with you guys. We are now hiking in Friday with an early start Saturday for the climb. Looking at the weather, Saturday looks like the best bet. No traverse for us as we've both done ED. We are camping Friday right below tree line before the trail goes up into the talus fields.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
waltoncito
Trip Reports (1)

Post by waltoncito »

Would like to hook up with you guys. We are now hiking in Friday with an early start Saturday for the climb. Looking at the weather, Saturday looks like the best bet. No traverse for us as we've both done ED. We are camping Friday right below tree line before the trail goes up into the talus fields.[/quote]

desertdog, we are coming up with a backup plan as Monsoon looks to be in full force by Thursday for San Juans. We may head to Crestones instead. If we do end up going to Kilpacker, we will look for you on Friday afternoon/evening.
ORION
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ORION »

Climbed Mt Wilson and El Diente from Kilpacker yesterday, ditto on mcgyver's report. I climbed Mt Wilson first to take advantage of the excellent snow conditions on the ascent and to scope out a route for intercepting El Diente's South Slopes on my return. This worked well...the ascent on microspikes up the entire back of the basin was easy and fun. I would hate to do this route once the snow is gone. The descent back into the basin and "traverse" to El Diente was fine. I didn't have crampons or an ice axe, so no glissading and I had to be careful on the snow field traverses, but no real issues. El D's Slopes were loose down low, but in good shape up higher where it counts. Thanks to Ron and Kevin for keeping me company on El D and on the long hike out!
Spivey
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Spivey »

I am planning on driving out from C/Springs Friday night, and hitting it Sat morning from the K/P TH. I have done E/D, so I am going for Mt Wilson and Wilson peak, and maybe Gladstone... I'll see ya up there