Pyramid Peak: I Want Your Input

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Generalcuz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pyramid Peak: I Want Your Input

Post by Generalcuz »

The thing that comes to my mind is "operator." LOL.

But whatever works, it's all good.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Krullin_14ers
14ers: 51  6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Krullin_14ers »

Hey does anyone have recent condition information on Pyramid? Any pictures I could gander at?? Thanks!
](*,)
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

My friend Andrew was up there recently:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
xDoogiex
14ers: 32 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by xDoogiex »

How would the sangres be compared to the keyhole route? I want to go to the elks or sangres next
joshmcd
14ers: 9 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by joshmcd »

I was up there Thursday.

Snow was minimal and could be entirely avoided except for the small gulley immediately before entering the green wall. We used ice axes to traverse, even though it was only about 5 steps to get across. Make sure you have secure footing here.

I struggled following cairns higher up. Route finding was vital once at the saddle and I got cliffed out of my "climbing solo comfort zone" while zig-zagging left on the last 500'. I ended up coming down and meeting two guys who took me up a more direct (and easier) uncairned route up the green wall. It had a lot of exposure, but the climbing was easier to me.

A helmet is an absolute must on this peak. And it's not so much about your climbing partners or other people knocking rocks down on you. The mountain goats will kill you with rock fall if you're not aware of them above you. I experienced several close calls, the worst of which was a rock the size of a football that they let loose on me as I was on the ledge. I heard it coming and braced myself against the ledge. It missed me by about 2 feet.

Be careful up there. It's fun, but you need nerves of steel at times and your awareness level must stay high from entrance of the amphitheatre to the summit and back.
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

Those guys arguing about gloves should get over themselves. Have fun on Pyramid.
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson
Krullin_14ers
14ers: 51  6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Krullin_14ers »

I appreciate the input from everyone, but to bring the thread back to topic, we did Pyramid yesterday and it was a blast. Did not need any snow equipment, not even gloves, just a helmet. Route was real fun and would not consider much more difficult than Wetterhorn, you just need to deal with exposure for a longer period of time. We were just careful of our hand and foot placements and everything went smoothly. Trip report to follow in a few hours!
](*,)
sue personett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

Congrats Krullin!!! I thought Pyramid was fun too, especially near the summit where you climb up the green rocks.
Namaste
Sue