Bierstadt - Large group on Sat 7/26

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Bierstadt - Large group on Sat 7/26

Post by alpinenut »

There is a large group of fitness enthusiasts planning to attempt Bierstadt West Slopes Route on 7/26. I'm guessing there will be at least 20 but could be as many as 50. They are planning to meet at the TH at 7:30am.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Bierstadt - Large group on Sat 7/26

Post by Doug Shaw »

Attn all respondents!

In the interests of efficiency, this site would like to ask you to participate in an internet outrage experiment. Instead of responding with a big ol' rant, please just circle your outrage reason below using a red pen.

- assume Crossfit, engage Crossfit-hatred mode
- Bierstadt won't really give them that good of a workout. They could choose a better mountain.
- There's something else happening on 7/26 that this will conflict with, making things difficult for other people.
- Group size violates wilderness regulations
- 7:30am is too late for a summer start
- how is the group being led?
- They probably haven't accounted for what happens if there are medical problems. They are putting rescuers at risk!
- assume someone will leave fitness equipment on the summit
- other - please clarify below using the red pen:

(The reality is that on a summer weekend day on Bierstadt there will be so many people that a group of 20-50 people probably won't even stand out.)
Last edited by Doug Shaw on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Doug Shaw wrote: - assume someone will leave fitness equipment on the summit
lol ^That was my fav
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

DAMN CULTFITTERS
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

That was hilarious Doug!
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

Doug Shaw wrote: - other - please clarify below using the red pen
This means that there will be 20-50 new trip reports cluttering up this website by Monday and not a single one will include a worthwhile picture or any real beta [-X
I'm slower than Scott P.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

SikYou wrote:
Doug Shaw wrote: - other - please clarify below using the red pen
This means that there will be 20-50 new trip reports cluttering up this website by Monday and not a single one will include a worthwhile picture or any real beta [-X

Will the default sample images be left in there?
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Doug Shaw wrote:Attn all respondents!

In the interests of efficiency, this site would like to ask you to participate in an internet outrage experiment. Instead of responding with a big ol' rant, please just circle your outrage reason below using a red pen.

- Bierstadt won't really give them that good of a workout. They could choose a better mountain.
- There's something else happening on 7/26 that this will conflict with, making things difficult for other people.
- 7:30am is too late for a summer start
- They probably haven't accounted for what happens if there are medical problems. They are putting rescuers at risk!
- other - please clarify below using the red pen:

(The reality is that on a summer weekend day on Bierstadt there will be so many people that a group of 20-50 people probably won't even stand out.)
I made my choice, but it was hard just sticking to only one outrage.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

Doug, single funniest (and legit) comment ive seen to date. I agree with all of the above

Maybe its a parkour group? And they be filming along the sawtooth?
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

How will this group be distinguishable from the conga line that will be heading up Bierstadt on a summer Saturday morning? Will they all wear the same brightly colored form fitting clothing? 20 - 50 people, that could bump Bierstadt's numbers by like 5% for the day! Arriving at 7:30, at least we know there won't be an impact on the parking lots!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

We once encountered a group of over 100 clients of the Denver Rescue Mission on Bierstadt. They were an interesting bunch, and we had some good chats on the way up with them. Not your average climbing group.

The first time I did the Decalibron I kept crossing paths with a 40-girl sorority group. That was fun.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Well played doug ...well played
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson