Redcloud/Sunshine/Handies

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Redcloud/Sunshine/Handies

Post by aweskamp »

huffy13 wrote:
aweskamp wrote:
huffy13 wrote:I guess you could be able to do all three in one day, it would be a long, hard day though just from an overall roundtrip mileage perspective. If you are going to try all three Grizzly Gulch is the best place to do it....however doing them in two days would be better, in my opinion, just so you could really enjoy the hikes instead of feeling like you were rushing through them. When we did Handies a few years ago for my daughter's first 14er, we started at Grizzly Gulch for the ascent and then descended down through American Basin. From there we just hiked the road that wraps around Whitecross Mountain right back to Grizzly Gulch. Great loop route, we were able to see how cool Handies looked on the ascent (it doesn't look all that great from AB) and we still got to enjoy how awesome American Basin was, Sloan Lake and some wildflowers, although we were a few weeks too late to catch them at their peak. We had a few folks driving the road offer us a ride (I believe the road is part of the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway) but we were enjoying the hike, so we politely turned down the offers, but there is always that option if you choose also. Either way, that is one of the most amazing parts of the state I have gotten to visit and I look forward to going back so I can bag Sunshine and Redcloud.
What was the RT mileage on this route?

Doing the loop added about 2 miles to the Grizzly Gulch Route described on the site, so right around 10 total, but those extra miles were easy, just road walking. It was so worth it just to see how great Handies looked from GG and we also didn't want to miss out on American Basin...one of my favorite hikes and really the most secluded 14er I've done so far. We only came across 8 people the whole day that were hiking.
Awesome, thanks! Sounds like a win-win to me: save my car from a beating and maximize the exposure to the San Juan scenery. I'm planning on doing this with my girlfriend in a few weeks; it'll be her first so hopefully this will set the 14er hook! Thanks again
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Yes, definitely easier on the vehicle, that road we hiked was ugly in a lot of places. Be aware though that the road to Grizzly Gulch is pretty washboarded in places and there are a few places that it is kind of narrow, but not too bad. The only part that really got me was the shelf road that goes for a couple miles hugging the south side of Sunshine Peak.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by aweskamp »

How narrow does the road get?
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

aweskamp wrote:How narrow does the road get?
In places it's only wide enough for one vehicle...it's not so narrow that you feel like you are cliffhanging, there's plenty of space for one vehicle and there are also several places where a vehicle can ease over and let vehicles coming the other way pass. I never felt like I was any kind of danger, I just wasn't expecting it, that's all. As long as you go slow you'll be fine.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
mr_Chris
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr_Chris »

huffy13 wrote:I guess you could be able to do all three in one day, it would be a long, hard day though just from an overall roundtrip mileage perspective. If you are going to try all three Grizzly Gulch is the best place to do it....however doing them in two days would be better, in my opinion, just so you could really enjoy the hikes instead of feeling like you were rushing through them. When we did Handies a few years ago for my daughter's first 14er, we started at Grizzly Gulch for the ascent and then descended down through American Basin. From there we just hiked the road that wraps around Whitecross Mountain right back to Grizzly Gulch. Great loop route, we were able to see how cool Handies looked on the ascent (it doesn't look all that great from AB) and we still got to enjoy how awesome American Basin was, Sloan Lake and some wildflowers, although we were a few weeks too late to catch them at their peak. We had a few folks driving the road offer us a ride (I believe the road is part of the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway) but we were enjoying the hike, so we politely turned down the offers, but there is always that option if you choose also. Either way, that is one of the most amazing parts of the state I have gotten to visit and I look forward to going back so I can bag Sunshine and Redcloud.
That's actually a pretty brilliant idea! I was just out there last week white knuckled it in my Honda Pilot from Grizzly Gulch to American Basin. Hadn't even considered a loop up GG and down the other side with the road hike back, and that really isn't adding that much mileage either to the GG roundtrip. Next time. :)
Moraine14
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Moraine14 »

aweskamp wrote:How narrow does the road get?
I thought the shelf road wasn’t too bad in and of itself, although I admit I was nervous about what to do if I met someone coming the other direction. I would hate to have to back up on that thing (especially if it were dark)! From the driver’s seat, it looks narrower than it apparently really is. A friend snapped the following picture on the way back down, which gives an idea of how much “room” there is. Granted, this is not the narrowest section of road, but it should give you some perspective.
IMGP2790a.jpg
IMGP2790a.jpg (188.57 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Hunter
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hunter »

+1 with Moraine14's. Some minor potholes as pictured in her post above along with some rocks here and there along the road. We never needed 4WD engaged though. Two Hyundai Sonata's were at the trailhead when we were there earlier this month. I think this picture represents the narrowest section which lasts no more than ~3 car lengths.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
RobAsmus
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobAsmus »

I just did Redcloud and Sunshine from Grizzly Gulch/Silver Creek TH yesterday (7/24/14). The road was a little challenging for my old 2wd car, but it won't stop me from going back. One of the other hikers planned on doing Handies at night. So he was doing all 3 in one day. I was going to try Handies today, but headed back because of the forcasted weather for today. I'm sure if you plan on going this weekend the weather should hold for your hike. Good luck.