Longs Loft Route Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Valesia
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Longs Loft Route Conditions

Post by Valesia »

I cannot find a TR for the loft route from the last week. I know there is still a snow patch before the lake but what about the exit ramp into the loft? Has anyone been up or down this route in the last week? We would like to do it this weekend however we are worried about the exit ramp area >.<. If anything we will be going up Meeker ridge.

Thanks
Life does not come with cairns to guide you, you must follow your dreams.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Longs Loft Route Conditions

Post by justiner »

I'd wager it's pretty bare. You can get a good idea on the approach. A contingency plan would be to take the iron gates up to meeker.
HikerDan75
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerDan75 »

I'm headed up the same way this weekend and per your suggestion will weigh the options on the climb. I'm not familiar with the Iron gates though. Would you be able to direct me to a site I could learn more about this route?
Nil sine Numine
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

There's a ton of trip reports, here:

http://www.13ers.com/peaks/peak.php?peakkey=280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's route beta - go up the big huge gully! :)

http://www.summitpost.org/iron-gates/161780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photo from a trip report:
68_2011072216342714.jpg
68_2011072216342714.jpg (118.29 KiB) Viewed 276 times
My guess though, is that Loft route will be fine - the ledges may have some ice from recent rain - it is supposed to be below freezing some nights, this week.

I'll actually be going up The Iron Gates on Saturday, I believe,
HikerDan75
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerDan75 »

Thank you! I appreciate your help and direction. See you Saturday maybe.
Nil sine Numine
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

No problemo, the best of luck.
sjellison2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sjellison2 »

Came down that way last weekend. No snow until where the "ramp" meets the main "gully". Glissaded about 200ft from the ramp to the end of the snow. You could probably avoid the snow entirely with a little 3rd/4th class scrambling or just kick steps or use microspikes.

Enjoy.
Valesia
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Valesia »

sjellison2 wrote:Came down that way last weekend. No snow until where the "ramp" meets the main "gully". Glissaded about 200ft from the ramp to the end of the snow. You could probably avoid the snow entirely with a little 3rd/4th class scrambling or just kick steps or use microspikes.

Enjoy.
So on the climb up the "ramp" its clear enough... Good to know. From the approach it looks pretty covered and it would be a shame to get all the way up then have to turn around and do the gates haha
Life does not come with cairns to guide you, you must follow your dreams.