Build up to class 4

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jrvyvlecka02
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Build up to class 4

Post by Jrvyvlecka02 »

So I'm looking to build up to difficult class 4 routes. Ideally one day I'd like to climb each 14er (within the next four years). I've climbed pikes peak and a few days ago was within 1/8 of a mile of grays and torries peak but had to turn around, lightning. I free climb and am good with heights and am wondering if you guys could recommend difficult class 2 - class 3 routes I could climb. I was looking at the lost rat couloir but it required an ice axe. Thanks
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Build up to class 4

Post by rickinco123 »

Easy class 5, roped. That'll do it.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Jrvyvlecka02 wrote:So I'm looking to build up to difficult class 4 routes. Ideally one day I'd like to climb each 14er (within the next four years). I've climbed pikes peak and a few days ago was within 1/8 of a mile of grays and torries peak but had to turn around, lightning. I free climb and am good with heights and am wondering if you guys could recommend difficult class 2 - class 3 routes I could climb. I was looking at the lost rat couloir but it required an ice axe. Thanks
Yeah man, you're definitely going to want to try a moderate route before going into some class 4 stuff. Generally couloirs are undesirable this time of year. Better for May/June climbs with crampons and an ax. If you want something to kind of test out your climbing skills but don't want anything too far away or difficult. You might want to try Castle and Conundrum the standard route, or if you feel like driving Sneffels is great as it is a good class 2+ on it's standard route. My first route was Bierstadt and Evans' Tour De Abyss. Really fun stuff on the East ridge of Bierstadt and the Sawtooth isn't too bad either. Some pretty good exposure and a couple of fairly difficult moves. Wetterhorn is nice class 3 but also a bit far. Maybe try Kelso's Ridge on Torrey's then from Torrey's hit Gray's and descend the standard route.

-John
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Jrvyvlecka02 wrote:So I'm looking to build up to difficult class 4 routes. Ideally one day I'd like to climb each 14er (within the next four years). I've climbed pikes peak and a few days ago was within 1/8 of a mile of grays and torries peak but had to turn around, lightning. I free climb and am good with heights and am wondering if you guys could recommend difficult class 2 - class 3 routes I could climb. I was looking at the lost rat couloir but it required an ice axe. Thanks
Despite being long, arduous and crowded, I'd have to recommend the Keyhole on Longs if you haven't done it yet. It's a good introduction to 3rd class terrain on a very well-marked route with generally solid rock (with some exception in the Trough). It's also among the most spectacular "standard" routes I've seen on any mountain. The exposure, scenery, and situations will take your breath away. The 5000'+ total gain will also make many other mountains seem like a walk in the park :)
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Good advice here ...
Class 4s hanging over my head

And a fairly recent thread discussing front range area 13ers with Class 3 routes ...
Class 3 Front Range 13ers?

There are other similar threads with suggestions for Class 3 routes and building up for more difficult 14ers. Those are just two I remember off the top of my head. Get creative in your forum keyword search and I'm sure you'll find others.