Does Cameron count? Really?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Does Cameron count? Really?

Post by Scott P »

People once thought that Pike's Peak was 18,000 feet high, too.
Mount Hood was first reported to be 25,000 feet high. :shock:

The Collegiates in Colorado were sometimes reported as more than 17,000 feet high.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Once saw a turn-of the century advertisement for a tram ride above Silver Plume that terminated on 14,003-foot Mount McClellan (13,587').

More recently (1967), a Conoco highway map listed Mount Aetna at 14,163 feet. Probably meant it to be Tabeguache (14,155'). There was a Conoco gas station at Antero Junction.

This thread resurrects many memories ...
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

ezabielski wrote:Does Mt. Evans count if you hike from the end of the road?
From Summit Lake?
Sneffles from the 4WD TH? (standard route, not SW Ridge)
Handies from American Basin?
Sherman?
Do any of the combo routes count?
Does it count if it's class 1?
Etc.

It's a slippery slope. If you want to see how much work you've done you should just abandon peak lists entirely and only keep track of your total Roach Points. Then maybe that would indicate something. Probably not.

It doesn't even matter. Go hike something.

(It's on the list of 58, so I do keep a record of it).
I have been to the summits of Pikes Peak, Bross and Antero. I don't have them checked on my list because I drove all of Pikes and I drove to within 1,000 vertical feet of the summits of Bross and Antero. I have driven up Evans many times, but have also ascended it from Guanella pass, so I do count it.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

kbmiller wrote:Avoid the 14000 foot bogey and use 13950 as your standard, or 13863, or some other number. Nothing sacred about 14000.
Heck, if you like round numbers as your cutoff go metric and climb everything above 4000 meters. That'll keep you busy for awhile.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

jdorje wrote:
(But I assume Rijaca's point is that nobody knows the origin of the name, hence, it doesn't count.)
WTF!?

jdorje, I know that from your ivory tower high above Crestone, that you can see all that occurs in the Sangres, but your prescient abilities don't include my thoughts.

Oh, and you should get out of that ivory tower and hike more!
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

rijaca wrote:
jdorje wrote:
(But I assume Rijaca's point is that nobody knows the origin of the name, hence, it doesn't count.)
WTF!?

jdorje, I know that from your ivory tower high above Crestone, that you can see all that occurs in the Sangres, but your prescient abilities don't include my thoughts.

Oh, and you should get out of that ivory tower and hike more!
Hmmm... you mean his interpretation of what you wrote?

Calm down, man.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.