Does Cameron count? Really?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Does Cameron count? Really?

Post by jmanner »

Jim Davies wrote:I researched this only so that my 9 ascents of Cameron will count toward my peak totals. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

too much focus on "lists" IMO
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

mountaingoat-G wrote:too much focus on "lists" IMO
Yes, because they are something tangible to people... many people's brains work that way, nothing wrong with it - and we are having just as much fun as the rest of the free-spirited climbers who climb to climb.

I have lists that keep track of my lists. Cameron is on one of those lists; above the one list tracking how old the Scope Mouthwash and other medicinals in my guest room cabinet are.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Imcp
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Imcp »

I don't think of the lists as lists to be checked off; I look at them as a convenient way to track which peaks I have summited at some point. Hiking and climbing are not objective based, at least for me.

As for Cameron, I'm counting it because otherwise I haven't experienced sunrise from the top of a 14er yet.
drfredericks
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drfredericks »

On a similar note, I am planning Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross in several weeks. I noticed the nearby peak "South Bross" at 14,020 but do not see it on the list of 58. Is anyone familiar with why it is not included. Thanks, Jason.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

mountaingoat-G wrote:too much focus on "lists" IMO
I'm a mathematician / actuary. I nerd out about all of my hobbies. \:D/
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

drfredericks wrote:On a similar note, I am planning Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross in several weeks. I noticed the nearby peak "South Bross" at 14,020 but do not see it on the list of 58. Is anyone familiar with why it is not included. Thanks, Jason.
If you look at your peak list on this site, you'll see a number of peaks like "South Bross" shown in quotation marks. These are not officially named 14ers, and all of them are unranked. The list of 58 is all of officially named 14ers. There are 15 additional unnamed, unranked peaks that expand the list to 73. Many people choose to do these after finishing the list of 58. Clear as mud?
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

The only people chasing a list of 58 are people on this website. Nobody (or hardly anybody) ever heard of a list of 58 until Bill changed this website's checklist a few years back and added a few "peaks" that were named on USGS maps but never considered part of the list by Colorado Mountain Club or Colorado Fourteeners Initiative.

My bet is that most people hiking 14ers are not on this website, though most recent "finishers," whatever that means, have at least checked in here.

According to mainly Roof of the Rockies, here is the timeline of the 14ers list: (Please feel free to make corrections.)

46 peaks -- 1923, when Carl Blaurock and William Ervin become the first to summit them all.
51 peaks -- 1937, after a government re-survey adds several peaks, including Capitol. At some point, I think Grizzly and Stewart were on the list, but dropped after re-surveys found them under 14,0000 feet.
52 peaks -- 1940, after a government re-survey adds another peak (not sure which one)
53 peaks -- 1955. USGS survey adds Missouri Mountain.
"About 54 peaks" -- current CMC count, depending on what you do with North Maroon, El Diente, and Challenger.
58 peaks -- within last six years -- 14ers.com lists Cameron, Conundrum, and North Eolus, even though the last one is not a mountain.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Lemmiwinks wrote:
drfredericks wrote:On a similar note, I am planning Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross in several weeks. I noticed the nearby peak "South Bross" at 14,020 but do not see it on the list of 58. Is anyone familiar with why it is not included. Thanks, Jason.
If you look at your peak list on this site, you'll see a number of peaks like "South Bross" shown in quotation marks. These are not officially named 14ers, and all of them are unranked. The list of 58 is all of officially named 14ers. There are 15 additional unnamed, unranked peaks that expand the list to 73. Many people choose to do these after finishing the list of 58. Clear as mud?
Many? I know of two so far... Britt and Greg. Most people don't bother since the last thing they want to is go back to "just" climb South Wilson, or go back to "just" climb South Little Bear, or North Snowmass... Most, not all - I am one of the stupid few.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Agree and disagree. Most people in Colorado are well aware that there is a 14er list. And yeah, maybe they don't know if its 54 or 58 or whatever. And most people here think it is a big accomplishment to get the list whatever that may be.
And does it matter if Cameron counts. It's almost impossible not to do it. If you didn't climb Cameron or Conundrum, no one is going to give a s**t. But if you pass on N Maroon, well….. game on! I guess no matter how much we say we're in it for just the climbing, we're still obsessed by "the list." :-k
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

52 peaks -- 1940, after a government re-survey adds another peak (not sure which one)
I assume Holy Cross. Old maps show it as 13,996'.

"About 54 peaks" -- current CMC count, depending on what you do with North Maroon, El Diente, and Challenger.
For a long time, Ellingwood Point wasn't considered to be a separate peak. Since the 300' prominence rule became trendy, the current list has 53 (which is also the most common one to use), at least by interpolated saddle elevations.

If you don't count interpolated saddle elevations, and use clean prominence, Challenger Point and Bross drop off the list, making 51.

Of all the different counts, 51 or 53 is the most logical one to use because it actually uses a set criteria for determining a separate peak. The 54 list does not.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Oman wrote:According to mainly Roof of the Rockies, here is the timeline of the 14ers list: (Please feel free to make corrections.)

46 peaks -- 1923, when Carl Blaurock and William Ervin become the first to summit them all.
51 peaks -- 1937, after a government re-survey adds several peaks, including Capitol. At some point, I think Grizzly and Stewart were on the list, but dropped after re-surveys found them under 14,0000 feet.
58 peaks -- within last six years -- 14ers.com lists Cameron, Conundrum, and North Eolus, even though the last one is not a mountain.
This post I made a few years ago, showing a 1942 Colorado state highway map listing 50 14ers, may be of interest. It included Stewart, which has since been demoted. Grizzly was shown on the map at 14,020 feet (a scan further down in that thread shows this) but it was not on the list.

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake