Does Cameron count? Really?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Does Cameron count? Really?

Post by wildlobo71 »

14ers through the years
14ers through the years
Capture-14.JPG (339.33 KiB) Viewed 420 times
The above data is from 1876, 1891, 1912 and 1922. Each column has their 2014 equivalent in gray.

1922 source: Yearbook of the State of Colorado 1922
1912 Source: Yearbook of the State of Colorado 1912
1891 Source: Over the range to the Golden Gate: a complete tourist's guide to Colorado ...‎ - Page 252
1876 Source: Colorado - by Frank Fossett

edit: I do realize in 1876 there is both a listing for Mount Rosalie, which became Mount Evans informally in 1870, but not formally until 1895 AND a listing for Mount Evans... If I care, I will look into this confusion. As Bill Middlebrook says, it's on my list, but I am up climbing.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Holy Cross is a weird one when it comes to elevations.

From the chart above it appears that it was listed as 14,176 in 1876 and 1891; before being dropped slightly to 14,170 in 1912; then down to 14,005 in 1922; before dropping to 13,996 for an unknown number of years (notice that Holy Cross is missing on Travelling Matt’s 1942 list); before returning back to 14,005 in more modern times before rising to 14,012 a few years ago (some sources say 14,009, not sure where that figure comes from). 14,012 seems to be the most recent accepted elevation.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

My favorite is that in 1876, the Hayden Survey felt that Mount Sopris had to be a 14er due to it's prominence - so it's listed at 14,200'. Just 15 years later, it's back to it's place in the 12ers.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

One minor correction to the above chart. They gray numbers are the 1988 equivalents, not the 2014 equivalents.

The most recent equivalents are listed on various sites, including Gerry Roach's:

http://climb.mountains.com/Project_Isla ... 4ers.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few years ago, all elevations in Colorado were adjusted +4 to +7 feet. Many people are still using the 1988 equivalents because they are the ones appearing on most topo maps.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Here's the list from the 1925 CMC booklet "Fourteen Thousand Feet" by Hart. It includes 47 peaks, including Stewart and Grizzly, as well as "Old Baldy Peak" which became Lindsey. It also lists "Snowmass Peak" on the "Snowmass Mtn" quad, and says that Capitol and Snowmass weren't 14ers according to the USGS at that time, as the Hayden survey measured them as under 14000', but were believed to be higher by CMC.

The peaks from the current list of 55 that were missing are:
Mount Belford
El Diente
Tabeguache Peak
Mount Oxford
Challenger Point
Missouri Mountain
Ellingwood Point
Little Bear Peak
Mount of the Holy Cross
Huron Peak
14ers1925.jpg
14ers1925.jpg (281.85 KiB) Viewed 358 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

Hey Bill W.:

That chart is great! Thanks for posting.

RE: the 1876 chart listing both Evans and Rosalie. Wasn't Rosalie's name changed to Bierstadt?

I note that no one has posted a chart yet that includes North Eolus.
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

With all of this discussion about a 14er being "official" or not, perhaps we can also ask: When is a 14er actually climbed?

We can start with the Roach's sacred definition, I suppose, and go from there. Furthermore, aren't most of these 14ers being "hiked" or "ascended" as opposed to being "climbed"? If we're splitting hairs, let's go to the big one. "When Is A Peak Climbed?" and as Roach states "The question seems to be the crux".
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix
wildlobo71
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Oman wrote:Hey Bill W.:

RE: the 1876 chart listing both Evans and Rosalie. Wasn't Rosalie's name changed to Bierstadt?

Mount Evans, according to the info right here on 14ers, was first named Mount Rosalie in 1863, by Albert Bierstadt -giving her higher prominence than his own Mount Bierstadt. In 1870 Rosalie was unofficially renamed Mount Evans; a change that became permanent in 1895.
Bill W.

#forcedrefocus
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

This thread has gone from tedious to hilarious to fascinating. What is next???
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Boy did they ever screw up on Rosalie thinking it was taller than Evans
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

People once thought that Pike's Peak was 18,000 feet high, too.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

wildlobo71 wrote:
Oman wrote:Hey Bill W.:

Mount Evans, according to the info right here on 14ers, was first named Mount Rosalie in 1863, by Albert Bierstadt -giving her higher prominence than his own Mount Bierstadt. In 1870 Rosalie was unofficially renamed Mount Evans; a change that became permanent in 1895.
Bierstadt did several paintings of Spalding from the Chicago Lakes area, including "A Storm in the Rocky Mountains, Mt. Rosalie." This is on permanent display in the Brooklyn Museum. When he did the painting, he unofficially the peak for his mistress/future wife. This name was also used in W.H. Jackson's survey. The peak was re-named for John Evans for some reason. My guess is it was to honor his forced resignation from the Governor's Office.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells