Sneffels SW Ridge Beta Needed

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
P Why
14ers: 13 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Sneffels SW Ridge Beta Needed

Post by P Why »

Planning to climb this route on Thursday or Friday (7/31 or 8/1) this coming week. Haven't seen a recent post on conditions. Wondering how much snow remains in the gullies. Any recent intelligene would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sneffels SW Ridge Beta Needed

Post by ezabielski »

Did it a couple weeks ago. There will probably still be snow to be dealt with but it won't impede your climb and you don't need any gear for it.
P Why
Trip Reports (1)

Post by P Why »

Thank you. Really hoping to avoid the standard route.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Well I wouldn't recommend descending the SW Ridge. We made a loop, descending the standard route, and I think that's the way to go. The standard route isn't great but there's not much wrong with going down it.
P Why
Trip Reports (1)

Post by P Why »

[/qu
ezabielski wrote:Well I wouldn't recommend descending the SW Ridge. We made a loop, descending the standard route, and I think that's the way to go. The standard route isn't great but there's not much wrong with going down it.
ote]

Yes, that's our plan exactly.
brerrabbit
14ers: 57  45 
13ers: 189 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by brerrabbit »

Just did the SW ridge today, the snow in the gully can be completely avoided except for 2-3 steps by climbing on rock on the left side of the gully. Fun route, we did the same loop, standard route wasnt as bad as I expected probably because I've heard nothing but bad things about that col.
IanG
14ers: 54  2  1 
13ers: 5 1 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by IanG »

Did it on the 18th. Was snow in the cross-over couloir but we didn't touch it by going over and around the staying probably 15 vertical feet above the couloir the entire time.. it was fun. If you wanted to bring crampons it would be an easy not too steep 100ft up and would actually save time over climbing around. Super fun climb but some a little loose rock to be kicked on the class 3 climbs so be cognizant.