Longs trough vs Crestone Peak red gully

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
codogg81
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Longs trough vs Crestone Peak red gully

Post by codogg81 »

So i did Longs yesterday. It was everything as advertised and I see why it is a "Classic" Colorado hike. I felt comfortable with all of the sections as this was my 2nd class 3. First one was Kelso. I thought Kelso had more of a pucker factor. I think I will do the Crestone peak for my next class 3. I was wanting to know if the trough on Longs is comparable to the red gully? And what the crux is on the Crestone peak. And any other valuable info for the crestone peak.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Longs trough vs Crestone Peak red gully

Post by Jim Davies »

The Trough is easier. There are lots of places in the Red Gulley that are as steep and exposed as the chockstone. On the other hand, the conglomerate rock is terrific, with holds everywhere. I don't remember a single crux on Crestone Peak, it's just a series of class 3 sections that are pretty consistent. Maybe the summit block is a little steeper and more exposed than the gulley, but still has good holds everywhere.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
gzrrnnr
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gzrrnnr »

When I went down the Red Gulch on Crestone Peak a few years ago after the traverse, it was wet and I thought fairly dangerous. Never been on it when it was dry. The Trough on Longs can be wet in a few places, but is much easier, IMHO.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

The trough and red gully are nothing alike. Crestone P is significantly tougher than Longs but a good choice after Longs. Just be mentally and physically prepared. Personally, I liked Crestone P much more than Longs in every way. The summit is especially thrilling.

Dave
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

The trough and Red Gully are only alike in that they both lead towards the summit of impressive peaks. But I think the Trough was much, much easier.

The Red Gully is sustained steep climbing for nearly 1,500 feet. The trough is only like 600-700 feet I believe? The Red Gully also can hold snow late into the year, which can make it a bit more interesting.

As for the crux of Crestone Peak...I didn't think there really was one. From the time you start up the Red Gully near 12,400 until you are on the summit, it's just steep, sustained class 2+/class 3 climbing. Once you get to the saddle between E and W Crestone, it then turns into a series of small traverses and up-climbs along a rugged wall below the summit. As others have noted, the conglomerate rock is amazing for grip! Just bring gloves as the downside to all that grip is it can easily tear up your hands too.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Tatra
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tatra »

I think if you did Longs you will love Crestone Peak (and the Needle). Crestone Peak was one of my first class 3 and did it in November with snow for the first time. Longs overall is harder as it is very long, by the time you get to the keyhole you already hiked for several hours plus there are a lot of people, tourists dropping rocks. Crestone is so much more fun! You will love it!
WarDamnPanic
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

Red Gully is longer than the trough and more sustained climbing (Class 3 vs Class 2+) But Crestone Peak remains one of my all time favorites climbs. Be careful in the gully as the rock near the top is a little loose, saw a rock accidentally kicked at the top of the gully travel the entire length of the gully in seconds. But enjoy, it is great climb with little exposure until the top.
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

WarDamnPanic wrote:Red Gully is longer than the trough and more sustained climbing (Class 3 vs Class 2+) But Crestone Peak remains one of my all time favorites climbs. Be careful in the gully as the rock near the top is a little loose, saw a rock accidentally kicked at the top of the gully travel the entire length of the gully in seconds. But enjoy, it is great climb with little exposure until the top.
Yes. I actually dislodged a few rocks when we were climbing down, the climbers below were pissed. Of course it was an accident, but just in case, please bring a helmet and keep your eyes and ears open for rocks at all times. Luckily it's pretty wide in most places so it should be easy to avoid the rockfall.

I might be mis-remembering but the red gully seemed pretty easy. The rock is solid and there isn't any immediate exposure on the route until you get to the summit.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Erich
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Erich »

The red gully is just awesome right now. When I got to the crux I did for a second think, 'well, this thing is going to beat me by just few feet, there's no way I'm making it up there.' But then I simmered down and literally after the first two moves of just getting on the final rock the exposure seemed to lessen and the shelves were even more fun to the very top. The summit is a bit spooky if you don't like exposure but so worth it. The real bastard of the entire hike was ascending back up to broken hand pass from the lake side. No mercy on trail plan.
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

Erich wrote: The real bastard of the entire hike was ascending back up to broken hand pass from the lake side. No mercy on trail plan.
Boy you got that right. My legs were long gone when I got back to the top of the pass.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

I think the crux of Crestone Peak is Broken Hand Pass.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

I agree with what others have said. If you feel comfortable on Longs, you should be fine on Crestone. The climbing is steeper and much more sustained/longer, but isn't anywhere as exposed as Kelso Ridge knife edge section. I also agree that Broken Hand Pass is the most dangerous part and has some looser rock. Crestone Peak is one of my favorite climbs. The beauty of the Crestones area is way better than that of Longs. Have fun!
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"