Mt Elbert Route

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
randtbrown
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Elbert Route

Post by randtbrown »

Trying to decide which route to take (#1 or #2) up Elbert second week in August. We are staying at Turquoise Lake so Half Moon is closer, but Twin Lake isn't too far. It will be my second 14er (Quandary was my first). In decent physical shape- a slow but steady hiker. Pros and cons for each trail? Thanks!
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Elbert Route

Post by Pops921 »

they are pretty similar. East Ridge is probably a little easier and less crowded, but you need a high clearance 4WD to get to trail head. Standard route has a bathroom at the trailhead
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

NE ridge gains about 600' more total. I believe this is because NE route has some up and down where as the E ridge is just straight up; the E ridge TH is a few hundred feet higher than north Elbert. I was up there last weekend and saw some mountain bikers riding down the east ridge from the summit; not sure if that's a regular thing or not.
I'm slower than Scott P.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

IMO East Ridge is the better route. Fewer people, more direct, and slightly more scenic. East Ridge definitely for the fall months. You have to climb up through a large grove of aspen, so I assume the color would be spectacular.