Little Bear Rope, 60m Enough?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Little Bear Rope, 60m Enough?

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I know this has been covered in the past, but I cannot find the posts. If I want to remove my rope(s) from the bottom of the difficulties (in the Hour Glass), will 2, 60m ropes be long enough?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Little Bear Rope, 60m Enough?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yes, 2, assuming the rap station hasn't been moved up from it's normal location
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

If I remember correctly there's a good size rock involved. There will probably already be a couple slings around it. I would figure on taking a generous length of webbing. You can probably find a picture if you dig enough.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Thank you!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

[youtubevideo]/watch?v=gwvXtfRjonc[/youtubevideo]
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
bob863
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bob863 »

please call me stupid or un-informed...does Little Bear necessitate rope(s)?? Does the peak necessitate a helmet??

I'll admit I'm purposely "playing" stupid to encourage an open discussion...
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Helmet, yes.
Rope, no.

May the argument ensue.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Tommy Dorr wrote:Helmet, yes.
Rope, no.

May the argument ensue.
Hi Tommy, I guess you'll need to argue with yourself based on your recommendation that people bring a rope for Wetterhorn in this TR.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=2219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perspectives change through the years, eh? :) And sometimes for the better as one's climbing ability improves, which I assume is the case for you.

A rope may not be "necessary," but many would say that for Pilot Knob where a person just recently lost their life. Know your strengths and weaknesses and act accordingly.
Last edited by DArcyS on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

bob863 wrote:please call me stupid or un-informed...does Little Bear necessitate rope(s)?? Does the peak necessitate a helmet
The hourglass is a weakness in the face that allows easier access to the upper mountain. It is also a natural constriction beneath an upper gully that is home to some of the loosest and most rotten rock you'll find on a 14er. It's this feature that usually earns LB the distinction of being considered the most dangerous 14er. Anything that is dislodged from above - by climbers, goats, or nature - will funnel into that constriction, and probably right onto any climbers in the constriction at the time. For a double-whammy the constriction also contains some of the most difficult/demanding climbing on the route. If you're lucky, the climbing there is on smooth and water-polished 4th class rock; if you're not, the rock is actually wet.

Many people take a rope to rappel the hourglass on the descent instead of trying to downclimb it - it gets an individual through the danger zone a little more quickly and (hopefully) safely. That said, you don't NEED a rope - but many use one for safety reasons.

Being in the hourglass without a helmet would feel like playing Russian roulette. There's a lot of loose rock above you, you're in the constriction that it's all going to funnel into...
grock52
14ers: 35 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by grock52 »

^doug is dead on in his assessment. if your good with class 4 climbing then forget the rope, I certainly would not lug one up there. the helmet is a must.
When I look down from mountains lofty grandeur... my soul cries out, My God, how great Thou art
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Slight food for thought...

In my experience, some of the worst rock fall has been caused due to pulling rappel ropes.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Tommy Dorr »

DArcyS wrote:
Tommy Dorr wrote:Helmet, yes.
Rope, no.

May the argument ensue.
Hi Tommy, I guess you'll need to argue with yourself based on your recommendation that people bring a rope for Wetterhorn in this TR.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=2219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perspectives change through the years, eh? :) And sometimes for the better as one's climbing ability improves, which I assume is the case for you.
Wow, you really went out of your way to point that out. I don't know whether to be flattered or creeped out. :shock:

Anyway, I guess you're right. People change. Still, kinda weird.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix