Harvard/Columbia Cirque?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Harvard/Columbia Cirque?

Post by Voodoo302 »

Planning on linking Harvard and Columbia this weekend. While looking at the topo I wondered if anyone has done the ridge around that whole cirque?

*Edit to add photo*
HarvardCirque.gif
HarvardCirque.gif (279.42 KiB) Viewed 205 times
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Harvard/Columbia Cirque?

Post by ezabielski »

For Harvard-Columbia, Anton Krupicka has done it purely by the ridge which you may already be aware. It involves a 30' 5.7 downclimb (on the way to Columbia). Here's his report:

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/nolans-14-scouting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: I should note that even the normal traverse is a long day by itself. It took AK an hour to do the mile between H-C on Rabbit Ridge, and he's no slouch. Imagine possibly doing that for 3 or 4 more miles of ridgeline plus all the approach hiking.
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voodoo302 »

Thanks for the link, that's some good beta. We were actually considering doing it in the Columbia-Harvard direction (counter-clockwise), for a number of reasons, one of which being that it will allow us to evaluate weather and energy levels after Harvard.
bjkent76
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bjkent76 »

I did the traverse last summer from Columbia to Harvard and it is indeed a long slog. While I didn't stay on the ridge proper, I did stay as high as my skill level allowed. Some fun class 3+ stuff, but also lots of boulder hopping and loose scree. I am in pretty good condition and it still took me 2 and half hours. Fun, but again, makes for a long day! Personally I would recommend starting with Columbia. Descending Harvard after a long day is much more appealing than descending Columbia, which is a loose, nasty gray lump.

Enjoy!!