Mt. Evans from Chicago Lakes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bborkowski
14ers: 21 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Evans from Chicago Lakes

Post by Bborkowski »

I am planning on hiking Mt. Evans from Chicago Lakes next week and I saw on the route page that the trail has experienced some washout. I was wondering if anyone knows the condition of this section or will after this weekend?

Thanks
Cthulhu 2008
14ers: 58  13  13 
13ers: 119 12 5
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mt. Evans from Chicago Lakes

Post by Cthulhu 2008 »

I'm sure you'll have a good answer soon, but I am descending the Chicago Lakes trail on Saturday if the weather holds (hoping to do the Chihuahua Gulch TH to Echo Lake front range traverse. I'll post an update then if no one else has more recent input.

I went up the Chicago Lakes route a few weeks ago after work (and hitched down). There was a rock wash across the trail as you have heard. I contoured across the washout and ended up a ways below the actual trail. I would contour up and look for the trail higher up than you might expect on the other side of the washout.

Enjoy. It's a great way to get up to Mt. Evans.
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil
Cthulhu 2008
14ers: 58  13  13 
13ers: 119 12 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Cthulhu 2008 »

As I descended, I was able to make some mental notes for you. As you come up to the wash, you can cut across the liquefied sand portion and below the toe of the rubble pile which is beyond the sandy area. Once on the other side of the toe, there are some braided social trails that will take you to the trail. That will be much easier than the way I went up previously.

Have fun.
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil
Bborkowski
14ers: 21 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bborkowski »

Awesome. Thank for the info!