Combo - Dem, Cam, Lincoln, Bross

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JDG7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (4)

Combo - Dem, Cam, Lincoln, Bross

Post by JDG7 »

I reviewed the threads & didn't see this question. I am planning on doing the DCLB combo in 2 weeks (legally on Bross, of course). Background: Just did Harvard/Columbia Combo and Shavano on back to back days. Soloed Shav, RT time in 4:20 (ascent 2:50, 4,600ft). My guess is this translates roughly to a 1.6k/hr vertical speed rate(?).

Question 1: Given this info, how long should I expect the DCLB route to take?

Question 2: I see the route climb times are generally quick (under 4-5 hours) for DCLB. If I start very early & all goes well, would it be crazy to consider attempting Quandary Peak the same day as well? How long does it take to drive from Kite Lake up CO 9 to the Quandary trailhead?

Thanks for any help, guys.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Combo - Dem, Cam, Lincoln, Bross

Post by ameristrat »

Nice work on Shavano - that's a good clip!

If you can maintain 1.6k / hr on decalibron, you could probably expect to be done in 4 hours if you don't spend a ton of time on each summit - Shavano is longer in both elevation gain and mileage.

As for Quandary, it's certainly doable in the same day if you're in excellent shape, but weather could pose a problem. Budget an hour to get from trailhead to trailhead (though it may take a bit less)
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
3rdGenNative
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3rdGenNative »

Question 2: I see the route climb times are generally quick (under 4-5 hours) for DCLB. If I start very early & all goes well, would it be crazy to consider attempting Quandary Peak the same day as well? How long does it take to drive from Kite Lake up CO 9 to the Quandary trailhead?

You may have only looked at the first page of the User Climb Times. There are 3 more pages of data. Also, keep in mind that the sample is only of those who report their times. Yesterday our group did it in 6 hrs. 45 min. but we weren't going for speed.

Driving from Kite Lake to Alma took us maybe 20 min. Be careful, I've seen on this forum recently that the Alma PD has been ticketing for speed on that road. From Alma to the Quandary TH I'd say 15-20 min.
Last edited by 3rdGenNative on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

For the Democrat, Lincoln, Bross route, not including stopped time at summits, it might take you about 4-4.5 hours I think. (though maybe faster, you seem like a fairly quick hiker).

For Quandary Peak, it might take you 5-7 hours to do, total, not including stopped time. I looked on google maps, and it shows 14 miles, or 36 minutes between the trailheads. If the weather is great, and you leave super early, you might be able to do both routes. If the weather is fabulous, you could probably do both starting at a regular early time. (5-6). If there's a possibility of storms in the afternoon, you'll probably want to start super early. (1 or 2).

If you like running, you can cut down a ton of time on Quandary, and from Cameron to Lincoln, and from Lincoln to Bross by jogging some.
MitchellS
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by MitchellS »

bdloftin77 wrote:For the Democrat, Lincoln, Bross route, not including stopped time at summits, it might take you about 4-4.5 hours I think. (though maybe faster, you seem like a fairly quick hiker).

For Quandary Peak, it might take you 5-7 hours to do, total, not including stopped time. I looked on google maps, and it shows 14 miles, or 36 minutes between the trailheads. If the weather is great, and you leave super early, you might be able to do both routes. If the weather is fabulous, you could probably do both starting at a regular early time. (5-6). If there's a possibility of storms in the afternoon, you'll probably want to start super early. (1 or 2).

If you like running, you can cut down a ton of time on Quandary, and from Cameron to Lincoln, and from Lincoln to Bross by jogging some.
Quandary will not take you 5-7 hours, it's a 7 mile loop.

Start DeCaLiBron at 4:30am, you're back to the trailhead by 9:0. It takes you an hour before you're ready to hike on Quandary. 10am start and it's another 4-4.5 hours. You're back down by 2:30. The nice thing about Quandary is that you start and end below treeline so you're sort of protected if the weather does roll in. The trail is wide, and you can run it easily as well.
JDG7
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JDG7 »

Thanks guys. Great info & context.

Further rumination: Since I ran down Shav (4.65M down) in 86 min on a steeper grade than Quandary, I think I'll take the 4 am start time advice above. (Subject to weather projections) Quandary round trip should be done in 3:45 flat or the day has gone terribly wrong.
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

I would think Quandary should take about half the time of Shav/Tab, maybe even less.
James Scott
Trip Reports (39)

Post by James Scott »

Did this a couple years back, Quandary first. Wanted to make a run at Sherman the same day just to see if I could, but the weather was a bit iffy, so I decided better of it. Here is a trip report with all my times listed. Hope it helps!

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Sure its possible, you just need to start early and have a little luck with the weather...heck why stop at 5? Just keep on going.
http://ericjlee.com/Blogs/?p=306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
GErickson
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GErickson »

JDG7 wrote:I reviewed the threads & didn't see this question. I am planning on doing the DCLB combo in 2 weeks (legally on Bross, of course). Background: Just did Harvard/Columbia Combo and Shavano on back to back days. Soloed Shav, RT time in 4:20 (ascent 2:50, 4,600ft). My guess is this translates roughly to a 1.6k/hr vertical speed rate(?).

How does one go about climbing Bross legally?
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

GErickson wrote:
JDG7 wrote:I reviewed the threads & didn't see this question. I am planning on doing the DCLB combo in 2 weeks (legally on Bross, of course). Background: Just did Harvard/Columbia Combo and Shavano on back to back days. Soloed Shav, RT time in 4:20 (ascent 2:50, 4,600ft). My guess is this translates roughly to a 1.6k/hr vertical speed rate(?).

How does one go about climbing Bross legally?
Only the true summit is closed to the public. You can get within a few yards of it legally, and its not really any different
James Scott
Trip Reports (39)

Post by James Scott »

Mountaineering is an imperfect science. Sometimes people get off route and need to find their way back to the main trail. Sometimes while they're off route, searching for the correct way, they happen upon a landmark that can help them. Sometimes this landmark might be a summit.
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."