Solo trip to Crestone Needle by way of Brooklyn

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JDG7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Solo trip to Crestone Needle by way of Brooklyn

Post by JDG7 »

Good advice all around. One quick thing to add. I have been a technical climber for years (comfortable in the 5.10b range), & am always surprised at how unnerving exposure can quickly feel on the 14ers. It's hard to relate how many variables change when engaging in a class 3+ route with significant exposure. I assume you were looking at either class 3 route up the needle (with 3 or 4 exposure). At any rate, you may be able to do them without issue. However, I would never try those routes without trying several other peaks/routes to see how the altitude affected me, how comfortable I was with sturdy v. loose rock, and how well I performed technical moves under duress. Whatever you choose, please be careful.
leafmiles
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by leafmiles »

I live in Brooklyn and Crestone and Humboldt were my first fourteeners.
st_ts
Trip Reports (0)

Post by st_ts »

Thanks again for the sage advice, everyone!

I've decided to err on the side of caution and do Humboldt first, then see how I feel. Crestone Peak might also be an option instead of the needle, so I'm going back to the books to do some more research.

Again, can't express how much all the info is appreciated! I'm feeling lucky just to be able to experience all the beauty that the SCL area has to offer. :-D
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

We'll be in that general area next week as well. Camping at Willow Lake on the 13th, aiming for KC/Chall on the 14th. Then head down the road a little way and camp near Cottonwood Lake 14th or 15th with plans for Crestone Peak either 15th or 16th. Cottonwood is across BHP from South Colony, but we'd eventually be on the same trail if you choose Peak.

Agree with others that Humboldt is a good plan just to get a feel for the elevation before attempting Needle or Peak. Sounds like you're more than capable of handling the terrain, but elevation is tricky. You may have already read some of the FAQ/Just Starting threads. If not, skim through those for tips on coming from lower elevation.

If you're a fast hiker, you might consider purposely going a little slower (provided you get an early start). We were hiking with my father in law from AL a couple weeks back on his first 14er attempt. He started getting headache/dizzy/nausea about ~13,700 so we turned around. He was doing well with respect to cardio/muscle fatigue, and I think he could have avoided those symptoms if we had taken more breaks along the way.
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

leafmiles wrote:I live in Brooklyn and Crestone and Humboldt were my first fourteeners.
Out of curiosity, were you solo or with others? If with others, did they have any 14er experience?
st_ts
Trip Reports (0)

Post by st_ts »

fahixson wrote:We'll be in that general area next week as well.
Nice!! And thanks for all the feedback! Maybe I'll see you around the way...gonna hit Humboldt for sure and go out early the next day for *maybe* the Peak for endless scrambling. Still doing my research though until I make a solid plan.

Really good advice about elevation and starting off a bit slow - I'm hoping all the marathon training in Denver the week prior will help with general acclimation, but one never knows how the elevation will affect my body. I'll probably be wandering around the area in an orange helmet if I'm on the Peak. Perhaps I'll see you and your crew around!
Krullin_14ers
14ers: 51  6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Krullin_14ers »

Send it, good luck! Did the needle last weekend and it was fantastic. No helmet or fancy equipment was necessary. Start early…12.5 mile RT!
](*,)
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Krullin_14ers wrote:No helmet or fancy equipment was necessary.
No helmet is ever needed until it is.

Of course if you leave your helmet behind, maybe you'll have room in your pack for a grill.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

highpilgrim wrote:
Krullin_14ers wrote:No helmet or fancy equipment was necessary.
No helmet is ever needed until it is.

Of course if you leave your helmet behind, maybe you'll have room in your pack for a grill.
Maybe he could wear the grill on his head in place of the helmet.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

st_ts wrote:I've decided to err on the side of caution and do Humboldt first, then see how I feel. Crestone Peak might also be an option instead of the needle, so I'm going back to the books to do some more research.
I have only done the Crestones once, but my memory is that the standard route on the Needle is shorter and considerably more solid than the Red Couloir of the Peak. The Needle seemed to be casual but I've done quite a bit of soloing so YMMV.
When life gets you down, climb!
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

rijaca wrote:Maybe he could wear the grill on his head in place of the helmet.
With a little creativity and the right escutcheon plate, he could also use it to keep his head warm once he starts collecting snowflakes...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
cclouis
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cclouis »

Suggest you do a nice class 1 hike up before doing anything 2+ or over. I'm an Atlanta GA guy, and we have been out there in 2010 and 2012. I can't stress enough how the altitude may (or may not) impact you coming from sea level. In 2010 I struggled walking 4 miles up Mt. Sherman (which may be the easiest 14er in Colorado). After a couple days I was good to go, but would have been taking a bad risk on anything approaching technical or boulder scrambling.

It's not the same as hiking below 10k feet.