$150 ticket for parking at day use lot at Maroon Lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
saxlover
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

$150 ticket for parking at day use lot at Maroon Lake

Post by saxlover »

I got to Maroon Lake at 3:30am, pulled over at the pay station. I was not camping or staying overnight. I planned to park and immediately start hiking Pyramid and then return to car and leave. Since I was not staying overnight (camping), paying for a day use pass seemed the most logical choice. I filled out the envelope, put $10 into it, torn off the slip to place in my dashboard and headed up. Parked my car in the day use lot.

I hiked Pyramid and returned at 11:25am to find a note one my dash stating "OVERNIGHT IN DAY USE ONLY $150.00".

I called the Aspen District office today and asked them to define overnight. They could not give me a cutoff time that would be considered overnight. They said their lots have been getting filled primarily by folks doing the 4 pass loop and leaving their cars in the day use lot. He said folks doing any of the 14ers at 3 in the morning and then leaving the same day are in a small minority. He said we should leave a note in the dashboard telling what our plans are along with the day pass slip so that they know we are not doing the 4 pass loop and leaving our car. As far as the ticket, he said to send in a letter when I receive the ticket. I'm not so confident with his response.

I suggested they leave notices at the pay station and day use defining what "overnight" means.
Andrew Tobin
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: $150 ticket for parking at day use lot at Maroon Lake

Post by Tornadoman »

That sounds like a ripoff. My friend arrived at that parking lot last week at 3:30 am for our climb of Pyramid. We were the FIRST car in the day parking lot, so at least on that day there were not a bunch of overnighters using the wrong lot. It sounds like they are looking for ways to make extra money.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
MountainSlayer
14ers: 40 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainSlayer »

Thanks for the heads up. I have thought about leaving notes in such situations, and will certainly do so, going forward.

And, since you sound like a reasonable person, I would be willing to bet they will treat you fairly. Besides, there are enough unreasonable folks out there for them to go after.
Last edited by MountainSlayer on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Might I suggest an email correspondence with the Aspen Ranger District so you have "documentation" to support your position when you challenge the ticket.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

I think Maroon Lakes needs to do some serious analysis of either their enforcement of that day lot, or change their parking policy to a more clearly defined cutoff as you suggest, or maybe consider having a staff person on hand beginning at 3 am during peak season? You are not the first to encounter this kind of problem. Grouping the violators in with those who follow the rules is wrong. The hassle you now have to go through is more than unfortunate, and I'd be pissed as well.
Last edited by semitrueskerm on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

That's really shitty of them. You'd think that after being in operation for 50 years, they would have their procedures figured out. I'm not convinced that the number of cars in the morning by multi-day 4-Pass-Loopers is more than the people who want to start in the dark for any of the 14ers, or do the 4 Pass Loop in one day, or hike to CB. Of course it's easiest to just ticket everyone. It would not take that much effort to log the license plates of all the cars that are in the lot at 8pm, then again at 6am.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Don't the day use passes have a start time you fill out? I don't remember Maroon Lake specifically, but they do in most areas.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
saxlover
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

MountainSlayer wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I have thought about leaving notes in such situations, and will certainly do so, going forward.

And, since you sound like a reasonable person, I would be willing to bet they will treat you fairly. Besides, there are enough unreasonable folks out there for them to go after.
i told him we want to do the right thing and currently the terms aren't clearly defined.
SkaredShtles wrote:Might I suggest an email correspondence with the Aspen Ranger District so you have "documentation" to support your position when you challenge the ticket.
good point!
Scott P wrote:Don't the day use passes have a start time you fill out? I don't remember Maroon Lake specifically, but they do in most areas.
yes they do.
Last edited by saxlover on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Tobin
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

It would be nice to have some clarity on this.

Which qualifies as day use and which doesn't?

A)Show up at 6AM and immediately start hiking.
B)Show up at 2AM and immediately start hiking.
C)Show up at 10PM and immediately start hiking.

C)Show up at 6AM, take a one hour nap in your car, then start hiking.
D)Show up at 2AM, take a one hour nap in your car, then start hiking.
E)Show up at 10PM, take a one hour nap in your car, then start hiking.

F)Show up at 6AM, sleep for five hours, then start hiking.
G)Show up at 2AM, sleep for five hours, then start hiking.
H)Show up at 10PM, sleep for five hours, then start hiking.

I have probably done a combination of most of these at that very parking lot for various day trips. I don't think "common sense" can be applied, as one person's common sense might not be anothers. A very clear definition would be helpful.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Scott P wrote:Don't the day use passes have a start time you fill out? I don't remember Maroon Lake specifically, but they do in most areas.
IIRC they don't really have a day use pass. The $10 pass is good for 5 days.
Erich
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Erich »

Could people starting at 3am just classify themselves as 'overnight backpackers' or is that a separate parking lot a long way from the trailhead? Maybe just throw a child seat in the car :/

Exceptions to the motorized vehicle restriction * Vehicles with people with disabilities or with a valid Handicap placard or license plate * Vehicles with 11 people or more * Vehicles with infants that require a restraining child seat (not a booster seat) * Campers at Silver Bar, Silver Bell & Silver Queen Campgrounds * Holders with Special Use Permits issued by the Forest Service * Overnight Backpackers * Horse trailers
iquack08
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by iquack08 »

I can imagine the ranger ticketing every car in the day-use lot at 6 a.m. because they gotta be overnighters... What happened to you is totally uncool. I've done the same exact thing you did plenty of times with no problems.

Good luck trying to resolve this. I'll be heading to that area next week, and this information is good to know.