$150 ticket for parking at day use lot at Maroon Lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: $150 ticket for parking at day use lot at Maroon Lake

Post by MonGoose »

We were up there a few weeks ago with the identical itinerary. We had an Annual Pass but still filled out the paperwork and parked around 3:00am in the Day Use Lot. We were not ticketed but the car beside us which had a pass purchased from a few days prior was given a $150 ticket (handwritten note saying there was a ticket). Seems like they got it right for us but messed up your situation. I hope you're able to get it resolved.
saxlover
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

jomagam wrote:
Scott P wrote:Don't the day use passes have a start time you fill out? I don't remember Maroon Lake specifically, but they do in most areas.
IIRC they don't really have a day use pass. The $10 pass is good for 5 days.
it is good for 5 days, which is probably why the 4 pass loop people are confused.
Andrew Tobin
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

MonGoose wrote:We were up there a few weeks ago with the identical itinerary. We had an Annual Pass but still filled out the paperwork and parked around 3:00am in the Day Use Lot. We were not ticketed but the car beside us which had a pass purchased from a few days prior was given a $150 ticket (handwritten note saying there was a ticket). Seems like they got it right for us but messed up your situation. I hope you're able to get it resolved.
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with this, either. It was written in magic marker on a torn up envelope. Very professional.

But the people were definitely in the wrong - we were there on 7/25, and they had a day pass on their dash that said 7/24. Pretty cut and dry in that instance, IMO.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
saxlover
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

here is a pic of note, it was attached to a blank fee envelope with my plate info handwritten in the same fashion as this note.
Attachments
bellsnote.jpg
bellsnote.jpg (78.58 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Last edited by saxlover on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Tobin
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

What does or does not constitute "overnight" or "day use" must be defined in a provision of the U.S. Code (or maybe a Forest Service regulation or local ordinance). If it isn't officially defined, then the Forest Service has nothing upon which to base a ticket. They can't just make it up as they go. The only way I can think to clearly define it would be to ban parking in the day use area during certain periods, such as "sunset to sunrise" or "9 P.M. to 6 A.M.," or something similar. It has to be clear. People have had parking tickets dismissed when the law (and posted sign) read: "No parking 8 A.M. to 12 P.M.," since the court determined that "12 P.M." is unclear since there is no such thing as 12 P.M. or 12 A.M. -- there is only "12 Noon" and "12 Midnight."
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I would draw a picture of a $150 check and mail it to them.
saxlover
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

Dex wrote:
saxlover wrote:here is a pic of note, it was attached to a blank fee envelope with my plate info handwritten in the same fashion as this note.
Hold on - did you get a ticket or was it just a note????????
it was a note.

the Ranger Station said the ticket will be arriving in the mail. Confused why they didn't just leave a formal ticket on dash.
Last edited by saxlover on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Tobin
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

saxlover wrote:it was a note. the Ranger Station said the ticket will be arriving in the mail. Confused why they didn't just leave a formal ticket on dash. with this lackluster operation, who knows if a ticket will actually show up.
Unfortunately, that is how they sometimes communicate.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

Dex wrote:
it was a note.

the Ranger Station said the ticket will be arriving in the mail. Confused why they didn't just leave a formal ticket on dash.

That is very strange - I've never seen that before.

Are you sure they weren't pulling your leg?

I mean think of that work - they had to copy down your tag number & car info along with all the other info. Then go to a computer and get your address and then mail it. What if you moved but didn't notify DMV yet?
Why is it strange? Aren't most parking tickets issued that way?
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
saxlover
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

then someone has too much time on their hands. I saw quite a few other cars with the same note on their cars. looked closely at a couple others and they said the same thing.
Andrew Tobin
MitchellS
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by MitchellS »

$150 of pennies would probably weigh something like 70lbs... :wink:
ClimbandMine
14ers: 57 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbandMine »

Yeah - that is not an official "ticket" of any kind. An official ticket has an envelope and comes with a means to respond. Address and phone number of the issuing jurisdiction. Unless something formal comes in the mail (which I highly doubt), I would not be overly concerned.
I don't care that you Tele.