Nolan's 14 Season (Many Attempts)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hangingbelay
14ers: 55 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nolan's 14 Season (Many Attempts)

Post by hangingbelay »

Eric - Thanks for the updates! If you see any links to trip reports please post them.

7 peaks unsupported is impressive - based on the information @ Matt Mahoney's page it's not clear whether or not anyone has completed Nolan's unsupported, but I'm guessing not. Anyone know for sure?
flashgordon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flashgordon »

I don't have all the links with me here, hopefully Eric will post them later if he has them, but there will be several of us (myself - Peter, Julian S., and others) attempting it this weekend along with Gavin and Brandon. Should be exciting. I believe Ben Clark will be attempting it again starting on Wed. Sept. 3. Best of luck to everyone!
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

At the risk of covering old ground,

1. Does the entire route have to be completed on foot, or just the 14 mountains using the 3000' rule?
(Either would be amazing.)

2. How many finishers have there been? I thought at some point I read somewhere that this had never been accomplished.

Sean Nunn
Raytown, MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Here's a lot of background info: http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

thebeave7 wrote:On Friday 8/29 at 5am Gavin McKenzie and Brandon Stapanowich are starting from the Fish Hatchery in an attempt to complete Nolans14. Both are experienced ultrarunners and mountain runners, Gavin tried last year getting through 7 summits and is back for more.

Tracking at http://trackleaders.com/nolans14i.php?n ... _and_Gavin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric
I passed a somewhat disoriented Brandon in the pre-dawn hours last September when I was running the Barr Trail on Pikes Peak. On the way down I talked to him and found out he was disoriented because he was on his second of four 25mi laps of Pikes Peak!
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Sean Nunn wrote:At the risk of covering old ground,

1. Does the entire route have to be completed on foot, or just the 14 mountains using the 3000' rule?
(Either would be amazing.)

2. How many finishers have there been? I thought at some point I read somewhere that this had never been accomplished.

Sean Nunn
Raytown, MO
Sean, the goal of the Nolans 14 line as established is to complete the entire route from Fish Hatchery in the north to blank cabin in the south on foot. Meaning no car rides in between and you have to hike/run all portions. That being said the exact route choices are up to the participant.

There have been seven people who have climbed all 14 peaks in under 60hours, one didn't make it back to the th in less time, and one has done it twice, record stands at 54:28 I think, on my phone so the net sucks.

I will try and post Spot links for the others as I gather them, I know two others starting Saturday in addition to Fridays mass start. Haven't seen any trip reports yet, I bet Britt writes one, Missy told me she prob wouldn't.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Jim Davies wrote:It's not easy staying motivated when the Incline is closed. :)
+1
thebeave7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I just added links to multiple SPOT/DeLorme devices for people who started Nolans14 this morning. Most of them are nearing the top of Mt Massive as of 7:30am. See my first post for the links.

Eric Lee
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Great weather for the Nolan's 14 over the next few days! Good luck to everyone attempting it.

Thanks for the updates Eric.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
thebeave7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Three more groups/people started this AM...

Jason Antin and Brandon Worthington from Fish Hatchery at 555am.

Ginny Laforme from Blank Cabin at 430am.

David Ruttum from Blank Cabin at 4am.

Gavin & Brandon S are moving great and hit Columbia in just under 30hours. Jason Halladay is not too far behind on the summit of Mt Harvard in 30h.
Links to SPOT/tracking is in my original post on page #1.

Eric
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

We need a Masters category for the Nolan's 14ers with a bit of extra time. SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

I am not sure if I am reading this right, but are Brandon and Gavin on pace to utterly smash the course record? I've got them coming in at under 50 hours if they keep up this pace. And Halladay is less than one peak behind. These competitors are pretty strong!