Nolan's 14 Season (Many Attempts)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Nolan's 14 Season (Many Attempts)

Post by thebeave7 »

GreenHorn wrote:They appear to be moving well!

Eric, I always believed the clock stopped on the last summit. Per Matt's description, "Cutoff is 60 hours to the last summit.". Like Andrew, I noticed that many now record time both to the peak and to the trailhead. Is this something that has evolved in the tradition of doing more than the previous record holder. I suppose it's trivial in the scope of the effort, but it could be the difference in official vs unofficial for someone.
If you look at the 2001 results, Jim Nelson is listed as being 'unofficial' and 'Over 60hour cutoff'.
http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/01nolan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The route is described as being from Fish Hatchery to Blank Gulch TH. So I would say you need to reach the finish before the 60h cutoff time.
http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/maps/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Eric, that page says: "The start is at the Fish Hatchery near Leadville, and the finish is at Blank Cabin about 2 miles north of the Angel of Shavano campground on the Colorado Trail, with a time limit of 60 hours to the last summit.". I agree that it's a little odd to have the course include the decents, but the 60-hour limit be to the 14th 14er.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Oh No! So close! Why are they heading back to Baldwin Gulch! I hope everyone is OK! I thought they had it in the bag, they were moving so strong...
thebeave7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

andrewhamilton wrote:Oh No! So close! Why are they heading back to Baldwin Gulch! I hope everyone is OK! I thought they had it in the bag, they were moving so strong...
Andrew, those of us in the Facebook Nolans14 group are hoping that just the SPOT is decending but someone kept going, fingers crossed. I sent a text to their crew for an update, but no word yet.

Jomagam, there seems to be some debate over true ending point. Matt Mahoney himself said they used the two TH as the start/end point and not the summit. So I'm inclined to believe one of the original participants direct word.

Eric
thebeave7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Official word from the Gosney/Koop crew "Nolans 12, bailed after Antero"
Sadly it sounds like they are done, and we will not be welcoming any Nolans14s finishers today, but what a journey they must have had.

Eric
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

WOW! A brilliant effort and a true testament to the magnitude of this route. Way to go Gosney/Koop, truly awesome!
hangingbelay
14ers: 55 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hangingbelay »

Any update on any more Nolan's attempts? I believe a number of parties were rumored to give it a go this weekend...
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Britt Nic Dick gave an effort to do it unsupported. She hasn't written a report yet but she did say this on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 450&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't really put into words just how amazing of an experience that was. Amazingly good, followed by amazingly "bad"...followed by amazingly elating...terrifying...eye-opening...defeating...empowering...testing...uplifting...nerve-wracking........euphoric, over and over and over again - and sometimes all emotions seemingly at the same time.

At first when I knew my little adventure was over, I was frustrated; I felt I had so much yet to give. The best analogy I could think of was that it felt like I had a full tank of gas in a broken down car; I had the fuel to get to the destination, but the vehicle needed some work done before it could get to "Point B."

But as I sit and reflect on the last 60 hours or so, I can't help but feel completely gratified. Aside from the loss of my mother, this was without a doubt the most humbling experience of my life. I knew going in that I would face unexpected obstacles, but never did I ever imagine facing - and overcoming - the amounts and types of challenges I encountered. If someone had told me prior to my attempt what I would go up against and work my way through, I never would have believed myself capable.

I was fueled by more adrenaline, fear, and primal "instincts" over the past 2 1/2 days than in all other days combined, it feels. Although it was only 57 hours (to when I finally, slowly, and painfully descended my last peak summited), I could almost swear it was upwards of a week. Constant gauging, focus, learning. Continuous pushing - whether pushing up, down, forward, 4,000 feet or two tiny inches. And, all the while, trying to remember to STOP and LOOK around; take everything in, for how Lucky am I to have that sort of opportunity. Oftentimes remembering to genuinely appreciate the experience was the hardest part.

I didn't do what I set out to do. But, I knew that I was going into an incredible challenge far beyond the imaginable. I knew the odds and the potential for "failure." I knew there were great risks involved. But how else does one know his or her own capacity than by testing it to the fullest? How else does one grow? Sometimes you just need to put All pride aside, forget the fears - especially the fears of failure - and Just Go For It. The worst thing that happens? You fail. And you'll learn more from that "failure" than from any other sweet victory.

Although I was conquered by injury in the end, I know this much to be true: I went out into the Rocky Mountain Sawatch Range alone for 3 days and 2 nights, carried all of my own food and gear, linked and summited seven 14,000+ foot peaks in 52 hours, endured lightning, hail, and snow storms, faced one very interested mountain lion and a pack of (very harmless) coyotes (details to come in my write-up), made lots of mistakes along the way, slept a total of 3 or 4 very restless hours in a semi water-resistant bivy, witnessed two bursting sunsets from close to 3 miles high, got Mama's ashes to the top of each summit, and (apparently) set the record for number of unsupported peaks summited for Nolan's 14.

I have never been more proud of a personal effort.
thebeave7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Sorry I didn't post a link to britts tracker, she changed her plans on me 3 times :)
There are several parties starting Friday I have tracking for some and will post when I get home.

Eric
thebeave7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

On Friday 8/29 at 5am Gavin McKenzie and Brandon Stapanowich are starting from the Fish Hatchery in an attempt to complete Nolans14. Both are experienced ultrarunners and mountain runners, Gavin tried last year getting through 7 summits and is back for more.

Tracking at http://trackleaders.com/nolans14i.php?n ... _and_Gavin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

thebeave7 wrote:On Friday 8/29 at 5am Gavin McKenzie and Brandon Stapanowich are starting from the Fish Hatchery in an attempt to complete Nolans14. Both are experienced ultrarunners and mountain runners, Gavin tried last year getting through 7 summits and is back for more.
Its not legit unless Brandon does 22 laps on each of the peaks.

Just saying.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

It's not easy staying motivated when the Incline is closed. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump