La Plata south to north

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dsbrian
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

La Plata south to north

Post by dsbrian »

I will be coming to Colorado in September and checking some more 14ers off my list. One of the peaks I was looking at was La Plata and I was thinking about climbing by going up the southwest ridge route and down the northwest ridge route with a car shuttle. I usually only get to Colorado one or two weeks a year and this way I would get to see two routes instead of one. It looks pretty straightforward but I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried this or if there is something I should know.

Thanks.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: La Plata south to north

Post by thebeave7 »

Myself (and every Nolans participant) has done this, often the opposite direction (North to South). The Northwest side is the standard trail and very straight forward. The Southwest side from West Winfield starts out as a very nice trail that climbs into a beautiful hanging valley. The ascent from this hanging valley to the saddle/ridge is a bit steep and loose/slippery. Once on the ridge just follow it to the summit, not a whole lot to it, the trail is not as well defined, but its still there higher up. Have fun, fun way to do the peak.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
dsbrian
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dsbrian »

Thanks,
Just wanted to be sure I was not missing something and end doing something stupid. :lol:
cascadecoach
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cascadecoach »

I climbed the southwest ridge this past weekend. I would say that the scree field is a lot easier to climb up then to descend, it is like descending on kitty litter. If you are doing a car shuttle, I would recommend starting in West Winfield and ascending the SW ridge.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

dsbrian wrote:I will be coming to Colorado in September and checking some more 14ers off my list. One of the peaks I was looking at was La Plata and I was thinking about climbing by going up the southwest ridge route and down the northwest ridge route with a car shuttle. I usually only get to Colorado one or two weeks a year and this way I would get to see two routes instead of one. It looks pretty straightforward but I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried this or if there is something I should know.

Thanks.
That sounds like a good way to do it as the southwest ridge is the preferable route to climb La Plata from for most people. The descent down to Twin Lakes via the standard route, while longer, is pretty straight forward. Personally after climbing/descending the southwest ridge route, I wondered why I had ever bothered with the standard route from Highway 82 as it is prettier, more enjoyable, shorter, and and less crowded.

Good luck and have fun!

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
+101RouteHog+
14ers: 49 
13ers: 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by +101RouteHog+ »

If you've finished the Belford group, how about hikeing Huron Peak (it's just downt the valley), then exiting Winfield area as you say; south to north route on La Plata Peak? Why? You're a good distance down a long bumpy, dead end, dirt road. Why not finish this area up? That's how I figured it. These THs are high clearance 4x4 only, as you probly know.

I hiked La Plata Peak a few days ago and really enjoyed it's solitude and short route. I did have 10 minutes of weather at treeline but cleared-up after, for a clean summit. I knew there would be three false summits and I did fall for the last few. This is a big boy. Maybe that's why my movement down the talus summits seemed to take longer than normal.

Enjoy!