Wilson peak confusion...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Wilson peak confusion...

Post by Mtnman200 »

The top of the ridge that Jim Davies mentioned is a possible camping area but definitely has no water.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

If you start at the Rock of Ages trailhead and are headed toward Silver Pick Basin, you are on Trail No. 429.
As you ascend into Elk Creek basin, Trail 429 intersects with the Elk Creek trail. (Bill's route map shows this intersection)
If you get off Trail 429, and hike a short distance further up into the basin on the Elk Creek trail, there are established backcountry sites with access to water that are also treed and secluded. Much better option than the above-treeline and water-less sites others mentioned. The sites, complete with fire rings, are on climber's right after the grade mellows and the Elk Creek trail begins to flatten out.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Excellent beta! Thanks.
When life gets you down, climb!
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

So it was actually not confusing at all... We parked in the huge parking lot and camped just at treeline on the left of the trail at an established and awesome site. Summited and had a cold Coors banquet beer on the summit at 8:51am. What a great mountain. thanks to all who chimed in.
Climb up Pints down
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Nice!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
GeorgiaTyler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7188_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!
Climb up Pints down
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Anyone know what those campsites along the road are like? do they have established fire pits? heading there tomorrow
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I car camped along the road, a couple miles before the trailhead a couple years ago. The campsite (primitive) was on the right side, right after a significant left bend in the road. We had 3 vehicles parked there. Level enough to sleep in the back of trucks, and enough spots for a couple tents. Not sure about the fire ring situation. I did the El Diente to Mt. Wilson Traverse that day, was beat, and just wanted to get a few hours sleep before Wilson Peak. Enjoy your trip !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
GeorgiaTyler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

On the rock of ages approach look at picture #3, the trees that you see, you can camp in there. We got lucky (it was a Monday) and got the perfect spot with a fire ring. Probably more spots in the woods, but that one was prime, didn't look for others. Then it is just 3-3.5 hours to the summit of Wilson.
Climb up Pints down
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Yeah, what were those black flies, anyway? I didn't think they were like mosquitos or wasps, skinnier than normal flies, and there were billions of the stupid things. We walked through clouds of them for the last mile or so back to our car on Friday.
edit: I guess they could have been flying ants, meaning they won't be around for very long: http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/ ... flyant.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, we camped at the first marked spot on the road, and it had a fire ring.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Beautiful! Thanks guys. I am truly in the mood for a campfire tonight before the climb. We should be showing up around 3p so hopefully we can snag a site
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

awilbur77 wrote:
forbins_mtn wrote:Anyone know what those campsites along the road are like? do they have established fire pits? heading there tomorrow
My wife and I camped there this past Friday at the last campsite as you are approaching the TH. There was a fire ring and flat ground on which we slept in the tent which we put up right behind our truck. In fact, I remember seeing several sites with fire rings. If you can get it, take the site on the left just past the creek. Nothing better than the sound of the creek to put you to sleep.

Bring something for the weird flies and the mosquitos though, they were relentless.
When I was there mid-July I had the camp site just after the creek. It's an awesome spot with room for at least 2 tents. If that one is open, don't keep going to look for spots - or at least put something there to stake your claim.