willow creek th - challenger pt / kit carson

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cyrrus
14ers: 45 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

willow creek th - challenger pt / kit carson

Post by cyrrus »

I'm heading down to do these 2 on Friday. I won't be able to get to the trailhead until approximately 6pm on Friday for a willow lake approach. It appears that parking is cramped up there and problematic for such a late arrival. Am I screwed? Is there overflow parking? What's the scoop? Can you park on the side of the road before the th? I guess at worst I can hike the 2 miles to the parking lot?
cyrrus
14ers: 45 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: willow creek th - challenger pt / kit carson

Post by cyrrus »

Yeah, true. Haha. Woooooooooooooooooo. \:D/
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

If all the commotion about Maroon Lake parking has you worried about a similar issue at Willow Creek TH, I'd say don't sweat it. Apples and oranges. Willow Creek is pretty casual, you should be able to find your own space even if the formal parking is full.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Yup, plenty of opportunity to park along the road if the trailhead parking lot is full.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/37.9903/-105.6692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The parking lot isn't all that cramped given the traffic. But, this will no doubt be a busy weekend. It's 1 mile from the forest entrance to the trailhead. There may be some parking along the side of the road but there is quite a bit - and some camp sites - on the side road up to Burnt Gulch.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."