C2 vs C3 couloir on Ellingwood

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

C2 vs C3 couloir on Ellingwood

Post by macgyver »

Curious to know which one people prefer via the Zapata route. What are the conditions on the C2 route comparable to?
-MacG
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: C2 vs C3 couloir on Ellingwood

Post by Jay521 »

Can't speak to C3 but I've done C2 twice and it is a pain, but obviously doable. Closest thing I've been on that is similar is the gully on Lindsey. But the advantage that C2 has over that gully is that you will likely be alone so the danger of other climbers starting rockfalls is significantly less. I found that staying hard left (or hard right in a couple places) made the ascent easier. Descent going down the center wasn't easy but wasn't horrible either.

It is a beautiful hike up to the lake and from there to Ellingwood, you will likely have it all to yourself. You might also PM GeoJed for his thoughts on it - but bear in mind that he flies over what most of us walk.

Enjoy! It's a beautiful route!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

I have not done C2 when it was dry. I only glissaded down it when it had snow.

If I did it again and the C2 was dry I would just do that. Shorter distance, less elev gain. YMMV
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
macgyver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

I should mention they will be 4 of us going up, if that makes any difference..
thanks for the feedback thus far
-MacG
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Haven't done C3, but here's a photo of C2 about midway up or so:
C2 Couloir.jpg
C2 Couloir.jpg (125.57 KiB) Viewed 997 times
If you have done Lindsey's gully, as mentioned, or the one on Pyramid, it should be no problem. For 4 people, you might want to stagger the positions going up. I went with one person (in the picture) and had no problem with falling rock, but you never know.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

C2 SUCKS!!! It would be awesome as a snow climb. I cannot speak to C3 as I have not climbed it. However, I think C2 is probably one of the worst, scariest gullies I've found myself in. Spare yourself, please.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Just so you guys know, C1 - C4 actually has a real meaning and you're using it wrong.

If it doesn't look something like this

and doesn't have some of this:

or some of this:

It's not C2 or C3
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

macgyver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

As far as we use it, and as far as I am aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong), it was coined C2 from this trip report and not to be used as a climbing term. http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... Ellingwood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I'd like to label it "C2" after my dear friend and climbing partner, Craig Clanton (now deceased), who would have been on this trip, but was undergoing chemo for leukemia. (He actually goes by the C2 symbol, plus, it does resemble the Crossfire Couloir double "C's")."
-MacG
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

I've never heard of that as a named feature, but if it seems to be an actual name in common useage, fair enough. I only stir the pot because I see people frequently trying to refer to class 2-class 4 as "C2-C4" which is already a climbing term on it's own.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

FYI: http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... ittle+Bear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: It's what they are talking about.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

crossfitter wrote:Just so you guys know, C1 - C4 actually has a real meaning and you're using it wrong.
If it doesn't look something like this
It's not C2 or C3
Yeah, my intention was not a Clean Scale grading of the couloir, but, as explained previously, to honor my deceased friend who went by the C2 moniker. The fact that it is the same name as the grading system was purely coincidental. My apologies for any confusion.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
macgyver
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

There doesn't seem to be too many people that have hit the C3 route. If anyone has, it'd be great to know how clear the route is to follow (if there is one laid out) since we'll probably be hitting it a little before the sun rises.

painless4u2 - most here weren't confused by your naming of the routes, and we appreciate your trip report and honor to your friend.
-MacG