Longs Peak - What You Should Know

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Peak - What You Should Know

Post by nsaladin »

PaliKona wrote:Is the homestretch as steep as it looks in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xcg0NXH0s8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

PaliKona wrote:Is the homestretch as steep as it looks in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xcg0NXH0s8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is... but it truely is, a none event.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
bjkent76
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bjkent76 »

It really isn't all that bad. I was a little worried about the Narrows and the Home Stretch going into it and found neither to be that bad at all. The only thing that gave it a little bit of a pucker factor was the little bit of ice on the route. Even so, it was far more fun than scary.

That said, I wouldn't want any part of the route past the keyhole in rain or if the ice was more prevalent. That would change the entire complexion of the climb in a big hurry.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

That looks like climbing straight up the 2nd flatiron. ;)
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

PaliKona wrote:That looks like climbing straight up the 2nd flatiron. ;)
The worst spot of the whole route in terms of pucker factor/exposure was the part of the ledges where the 2 bars are (IMO).
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

How about what you should know about food and water for the hike? Like what food did you bring to help sustain energy?
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Wow, I knew the 14ers.com crew would bring some great ideas to the piece. I'll be editing and adding in some of the questions and comments here -- thanks again, I truly appreciate the feedback.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford